Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our annual vacation to the north always includes some exploring of the old Copper Country Mine dumps where Miners explored in the 1850's and established some old mine shafts and claims. This year We were able to include the Grand Kids age 7-14 and they had a good time. We may have some future hunters. They helped dig.
The Poor Rock piles dot the landscape but are slowly disappearing every year. Construction and Logging companies are taking the old Mine rock and crushing it into gravel for road improvement.
Thousands of Rock Hounds visit yearly to look for Native Copper and minerals such as Green Stone, Agates, and Datolite.
Silver and copper half breeds are found but less common.
The last few years our searches for native copper were poor at best due to the conditions.
This year with the aid of metal detectors our discovery success increased greatly. The detectors help point us in the right location. Not every hole brought results but there were enough successes.
The actual work required to reach and dig up the specimens is no pick nick and down right exhausting. The samples in the photo are from roughly 20 hours of searching and digging. Some Vacation, Ouch. This is what the miners missed working in the dark shafts.
Photo is of the native copper specimens as they look coming out of the ground with a dime in the photo for contrast. The specimens seem to have shed the bedrock by years of frost action leaving just the copper. The Native Copper was deposited in the fissures of old Volcanic Basalt, Ash-bed and Conglomerate, a bed rock that makes up nearly half of the Keweenaw Peninsula.

Enjoy and Thanks for Looking.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
H

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I have Cabin Fever with all the ice and snow I finally found time to clean up my Copper Specimens
See photo

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Nice you training the next generation of TH'ers!
Thanks now I know what raw copper looks like. GL. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread