" Natures Bounty"

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" Nature's Bounty"

I'm really glad to see this forum added here. Most THers spend many hours out of doors, and get the exercise that could lengthen their lives....but how many can recognize the free source of nourishment provided by Mother Nature. I grew up in a family thatdates back to the Hudson Valley in NY in 1630, and have been foraging, growing and procureing fish and game for the larder for over 50 years, and like to share this with interested individuals. Following is just a partial list of whats out there for your use:
Bayberry( candleberry, wax myrtle)
Black cohosh( Black snake rooy, snake root, squaw root)
Black walnut
Bloodroot; red colored sap in root used as food dye, and the red stripe in some tooth pastes
Butternut
Calamus root
Catnip
Chickory root; a very suitable coffee substitute
Echinaca( purple cone flower)
Elderberry; high in Vit C, and makes excellent wine
Ginseng; prized by the Chinese as a most versitle health food sublimate
Goldenseal
Jewel weed; stops the itch of poison ivy, and insect bites
Raspberry leaf; used to treat stomach ailments, one of the ingredients of Kinnikinik( Indian Tobacco)
Snake root
Wild ginger

The inner bark of the willow is the natural source of salycidic acid...the main compoant of asperin, and chewing a twip has relieved many headaches in the past.

Along with the listed wild medicinals, which I would say need to be studied and approached carefully, and I will admit that I wouldn't recommend picking or injesting any wild and natural forage item without the absolute positive ID!

Many healthy, and really good wild edibles can also be foraged and collected, even in some urban areas: ramps,(wild garlic), mushrooms, dandelion greens milkweed greens( just the very top, tender leaves) fiddlehead ferns, black berries, wild raspberries, wild strawberries, wild blueberries,.....Most all of these have graced my table frequently.

Totally organic, healthy, and great tasting. One must also realize that Nature, through these plants, and many others have been the source for many of todays pharmicuticals! More later, and hope that this stimulates thought and interest....Gary

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a book called "Useful Wild Plants of Texas",that has all kinds of pictures and uses of plants.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Gary,

I hope this new Forum comes to good use!

It's my bedtime, but I'll share a cute supposed new story here:

SQUIRMY WORM NO SOLUTION

Aug. 19, 2013 - According to the Des Moines Register, Dr. Patricia Quinlisk, medical director at the Iowa Department of Public Health, remembered a woman from her state who decided to lose weight by buying and swallowing a tapeworm; warning, one tapeworm can’t absorb enough food to make much difference, but the parasite can cause anemia and malnutrition.

OP
OP
GMD52

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will people go to no ends to lose weight, in her case a lobotomy might have been more beneficial....Gary

OP
OP
GMD52

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to add some books from my library that are most helpful:

The "Foxfire " books, I think 15-16 vols.
Bradford Angier; Living Off the Land series, " Guide to Medicinal Plants"
Euell Gibbons series of foraging books; "Stalking The Wild Aspareges"
Peterson's Field Guide Series; " Field Guide to Wild Edibles"
" Field Guide To Wild Medicinals"
" The Herb Book"

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
She had a bad case of CGOTCASSMF syndrome (Cant get off the couch and stop stuffing my face)

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I would like to add some books from my library that are most helpful:

The "Foxfire " books, I think 15-16 vols.
Bradford Angier; Living Off the Land series, " Guide to Medicinal Plants"
Euell Gibbons series of foraging books; "Stalking The Wild Aspareges"
Peterson's Field Guide Series; " Field Guide to Wild Edibles"
" Field Guide To Wild Medicinals"
" The Herb Book"

Dont forget Mother Earth News.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm excited about this new forum and hope to add some informative topics but I must get off the couch first.

OP
OP
GMD52

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coily, Great to hear again from you, please do get off the couch, your input would be very welcome. This is a subject that I dearly enjoy, and a lot of my time outdoors time is spent foraging......Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread