Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Naval Officers Buckle 1850's - Rare AMES mfg. variety

I got out for a quick jaunt this afternoon. The new location I found was a house that had the exterior modified, but surely dated pre-1840's. It had been abandoned and literally had 2-3' weeds, and was almost undetectable. Almost...

First signal was this killer buckle tongue.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465521781.461153.jpg I searched for a half hour for the other half but no luck. I couldn't get the coil close to the ground for smaller target, so all I caught after that was big targets.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465521882.355277.jpg

After some cleaning...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465521902.690366.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465521924.876568.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465521934.046530.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465521945.672136.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465521959.627424.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465522064.296581.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465522083.139751.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465522104.824840.jpg

What I believe I have is an Ames Mfg. Co. Navy buckle 1851-1862. This early variety has two stars by the anchor. Some of the gold gilting remains, but I didn't want to over clean it. It's definitely one of my favorite buckle finds ever

My take for the hour ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465522113.905205.jpg

Enjoy.

Just a little updated pic - first one in sunlight;)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465592486.846533.jpg

I love it!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 68
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is KILLER alright.
A heart break not to get the other half, but hey, half is much better than no half.
And I do know exactly how you would feel I got half a tongue, and wreath buckle, and was unable to get the other half.
But maybe next spring you have a better chance ?
Good luck out there.
Thanks Rick. I think I'm just going to take my gas weed wacker out there.
Awesome find Scrappy!! I'd be thrilled definitely a cool buckle. Just curious is that a 51 I see?does that mean 1851?

Congrats and HH. [emoji41]
I don't know much about these buckles besides what lightly researched. I'll try to find that out or perhaps someone on here is willing to share their knowledge
That would be a site that I would always have as a backup. Eventually you will find the wreath portion ....if it is there.

I hope so. Like I said above I'm going there with a weed wacker and a wish! Thanks for looking

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's quite a nice find Steve. In my experience it's very difficult to find both halves to a 2-piece buckle like that, but it just might be hiding somewhere at that site. Good luck finding it.

Thank you Bill, and thank you for your help narrowing the dates yesterday. With your info I was able to zero in on the exact ID, otherwise I'm not sure if I could have.

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow!!! Awesome piece. Super big congrats buddy! Finding a buckle or plate of any type is on the top of my wish list. Congrats again on a great find.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
A really nice find rarely dug. If your only going to get half of a tongue and wreath, you dug the right half. Great condition as well.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn nice! It's very tough here to find any type of badge, buckle, or plate that predates World war 1 or 2... so things like that really grab my attention.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a heart stopper Scrappy and I voted this sweet buckle for a banner find. I'll bet that other part will be found when the area is easier to get to.

Thanks coily for the banner vote. Even though I'm not quite a believer in the banner system, this early variety of the 1852 buckle is considered quite rare.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not know they made buckles - know they made cannon - guns and swords for CW
I personally found the biggest lock you've ever seen - all brass - think it was for a rail car - it was marked Ames 1864
but don't think ive seen a buckle by them - if I can find any info - will certainly pass along
once again
18942565-illustration-of-cartoon-Trophy-Stock-Vector-win.jpg

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot to mention, that I have seen many CS, USA plates, so many I'm nearly sick of, but this is the first I recall of this type in my 9 years here, and for that I call banner.

It's also good you got so much gold left on it.
Great find Steve , perhaps your best yet ?

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I forgot to mention, that I have seen many CS, USA plates, so many I'm nearly sick of, but this is the first I recall of this type in my 9 years here, and for that I call banner.

It's also good you got so much gold left on it.
Great find Steve , perhaps your best yet ?

Confederate belt buckles are pretty rare around here Rick and definitely banner worthy to those of those that have found them. One man's' trash is another ones' treasure I guess. Anyway like I said,ya done good Scrappy.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Damn nice! It's very tough here to find any type of badge, buckle, or plate that predates World war 1 or 2... so things like that really grab my attention.

I agree. A few people mentioned how tough it is to find pre WW, and especially pre-CW. Although this may be considered VERY early Civil War. The early two stars below the eagle were apparently only made in 1851 and 1852. The latter ones went to 1 star, and no-stars were more from the late-1850's/early-1860's. I've always wanted a CW or earlier officers buckle and I'm very happy to add this one!

Cheers

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an exquisite buckle Scrappy. I also haven't seen one like that. Even without the wreath I agree it's a banner find. Putting in a vote for you.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Confederate belt buckles are pretty rare around here Rick and definitely banner worthy to those of those that have found them. One man's' trash is another ones' treasure I guess. Anyway like I said,ya done good Scrappy.

I don't mean any disrespect to your find, as I would be very pleased to find one, but at the same time there is one on the banner nearly always, so is NOT the same caliber as the plate that Scrappy found, which almost NEVER shows up, and therefore clearly a banner find....if a somewhat commonly found CS plate is.
A genuine vote going in now.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Scrappy. That is one heck of a find right there. Amazing how it cleaned up so nice too...wtg....Banner!

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe you can carry a little lightweight swingblade back to the site and do a little cleaning. I KNOW YOU WANT THE OTHER HALF. :icon_biggrin:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mean any disrespect to your find, as I would be very pleased to find one, but at the same time there is one on the banner nearly always, so is NOT the same caliber as the plate that Scrappy found, which almost NEVER shows up, and therefore clearly a banner find....if a somewhat commonly found CS plate is.
A genuine vote going in now.

I'm not sure where to rank something like this, but will say grouping a CS plate with a U.S. plate is a mistake, and before this thread is done I'll bet you'll hear that a few times. :) Considering how many people hunt CW relics it probably makes sense we see them on the banner on a regular basis... but they are in many cases finds of a lifetime, U.S. plates are not, at least for the most part. I would guess the Naval buckles aren't dug as much simply because they were mostly on ships, and I wouldn't be surprised less in numbers. But I'm still pretty sure most CW hunters are taking a CS plate way before a Union Navy buckle.... unless it's one special buckle... which maybe this one is... I don't know enough about them to say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions