Nazis in my BACKYARD?

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Nazi's in my BACKYARD?

Alright y'all. I will make this as brief as possible, but it is so weird it is hard to be short. 3 days ago on Friday afternoon I went to my shed out back to get a limb lopper. As I was looking around for the lopper I saw an old yellow pad with sharpie writing on the back. It was directions to my test garden that I put in about two years ago and had forgotten about. Worse, I saw I has buried a Williams cleaner bullet that I had been looking for since last year!! Sue me! :dontknow: I immediately got my detector and started unearthing the test garden. I pocketed the bullet and a Merc I had put into the garden and started for the house since the sun was headed down. By habit I left my detector on and was swinging away. A good habit I guess. All of a sudden the CZ hit hard. I looked at the display. 1 in. I had never detected this part of our acre so hey, 1 in, let's see what she is. A little light scraping and the pinpointer found the coin. It was small and grey/blackish. A dime? Nope, wrong color and no visible head on the coin. A Mexican coin? Maybe. I wetted it with a little spit and I was dumbfounded. In front of my eyes was a Swastika with an eagle on top!! I ran into the house and started cleaning it. It was a 1942 1 Pfennig!!! Why?? How?? Our home was old, but not that old, it was built in the 50's. I wanted to go out but it was dark and I had to go out with the wife so I let it die until Sunday. I went out again and worked that area of the yard over but good. I located a 1937 1 Pfennig, a 1939 1 Pfennig, and a 1943 steel wheat penny, along with about 30 cents of clad!!!! My wife who does not stun easily was scratching her head on this now.
All targets were less than an inch so they could not in my mind been there too long. My guess is a WWII vet built the home and these were war souvenirs brought back. The Steel penny was most likely in a box of change holding much larger denominations of German and American coins. The kids, or more likely the grand children, took them out under the trees and lost them while playing. Freaky is it not!! here are some pics of the German coins, the Steel penny and my cleaner bullet.

Oh, I forgot. The 42 Pfennig is war time so it is fully made of Zinc to save Copper. The others made before 40 are Copper.

Attachments

• bycoins2.JPG
    bycoins2.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,629
  • bycoins1.JPG
    bycoins1.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,654
Upvote 0

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Nazi's in my BACKYARD?

I think that is cool. Go out and I bet you find some more. Those are the real deal. Congrats. :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

ja dat's mos likely vot happened mit der nazi coinage . now see if they buried der luger too. :wink:

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice find, you never know what might be lurking just a few inches under our feet. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
21stTNCav

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used

Thanks y'all. It was very unusual to be finding those until I really thought about it. All because I forgot I buried my cleaner bullet! :dontknow: What can I say, being a little.......... OK, a lot absent minded can pay off sometimes. I am going to run over the area again tomorrow evening and I hope to find some other stuff. We shall see right?? Every coin was found in a inch or less so I have a hard time thinking it was there since the 40's or 50's. I think kiddos dropped it in the 70's or 80's.

Your right snakeyes, I walked over these coins countless times!

tnut1

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2011

Found a 5 Pfennig in my backyard tilling my garden! My neighborhood used to be an Army camp in ww1 hence the name Camp Taylor. Camp Zachary Taylor, Louisville Ky.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008

My guess why it is there? Back in the early 60's they were very plentiful at the coin shows. I don't know about earlier as I was only about 12 at this time. It could be that tons were released for collectors. Anyway, I went to a coin show, not knowing much about Nazis or foreign coinage. At one table, the zinc coins attracted my attention because in the lated 50s the "grey pennies" were my favorite for some reason. Some were still almost white. The dealer gave me a couple and I treasure them still today. So, they were cheap and numerous. I am really surprised that your zinc and your zinc plated steel are in any condition at all. Your dirt must be very kind to coins. By the way, I went to a coin show a couple of weeks ago and there were a couple of dealers with huge stacks of Nazi silver coins, about the size of a half, for sale. I didn't ask, but I wonder if huge stocks are coming out of Germany due to the price of silver and the economic times.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL ....strange I just found a 1906 pfennig today ! Thanks for showing! Im guessing mine got there from immagration to the coal mines in the early 1900s

RFrady

Jan 16, 2011
Steilacoom, WA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I was stationed in Germany in the early to mid 1980s, my platoon sergeant, who was married to a local, was doing some repair work and found thousands of pfennig in the walls of his home. He brought them to work and gave them away, since it was uncool to have anything with a swastika on it. I brought a handfull back and my kids lost them playing at Fort Knox, KY. So, somewhere in Chaffee housing there are 15-20 WWII pfennig.

Nice find,

Keep swinging.

OP
OP
21stTNCav

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used

I am intrigued to find out what I missed. Hopefully I will find some more. :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread