NC location scouting with 4-H

Obscurist

Jan 14, 2009
Asheville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Finally met up with 4-H Mike and headed down the mountain to check up on some locations associated with sites I've been researching for a while now. Very promising and I hope we can get back out there soon.

We drove around and got a feel for the lay of the land and met with our property owner for a yard hunt where some good 19th century finds have been reported. The owner's son Brandon, who starts 6th grade next month, joined us and Mike hooked him up with an Ace 250 and gear. He quickly showed that he knew his way around a machine and was digging signals while the sun beat down.

We were soon sticking to the shady spots and Mike started pulling nails so switched over to his sniper coil and managed a few keepers, 1916 wheatie, 1918 merc, a few early 20th cent. items, buttons, lipstick tube and harp reeds.

Brandon pulled some hardware, nuts, springs etc.

I ended up with two memorial cents and a handful of modern brass shells.

It was nice to finally get into the neighborhood and I feel confident that the good stuff is close by.

Mike is every bit the good guy his reputation here suggests and I enjoyed his company immensely. Looking forward to next time!

Attachments

• mikes.jpg
    mikes.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 474
  • yards.jpg
    yards.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 475
  • pennys.jpg
    pennys.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 467
  • brandons.jpg
    brandons.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 469
  • findss.jpg
    findss.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 466
Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice story and fun times. Now that boy know's how to hunt :hello2: That's what makes this hobby really fun. I hope he will remember that find and pic forever :icon_sunny:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you guys had fun. If it's out there, 4-H will find it. Good luck on future hunts there. HH, Quindy.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice hunt guys. You are in a great area. Very nice what you done for that young man. He has been thru a lot and it was very nice of you guys to include him in your hunt.

Jun 17, 2010
Middle,Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Detectors used: Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Ace 250,Garrett Treasure-Ace 200(retired) with Garrett PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story Awesome finds :icon_thumright: Congratulations :icon_thumleft:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds :icon_thumleft: that Ace 250 is a coin magnet you will love it Nice going Mike 4-H your a good man Good hunting :thumbsup: Dd60

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Vance!
Very nice story. :)
The Confederate solders of the American Civil War camped neaby the spot we detected.
The young man we took with us detecting, (Brandon) hunted with his father finding many Civil War artifacts in the past.
Unfortunately, the father passed away suddenly, recently leaving the young boy without his best friend and metal detecting buddy.
I spoke with his mother, asking how he was coping with the situation and she told me, that this was the first time she has seen him smile in 2 years. My heart hurts for this little guy..
Vance and I donated a machine for Brandon to use when he wants to. I hope this brings him some happiness a.nd keeps a smile on his face

If anyone would like to help out this familly, I can see to it they receive your gift.
There are 3 in the family, one, a daughter of about 9 years old.

Thanks for reading

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread