Neat finds and then a wet TSHIRT contest!!!

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It started off as any other hunt. I made ready and had my gear in the truck. I headed out for Logan. Gonna get me some more trash i figured. I hit the woods with a half can of OFF! applied to my person and a half can on stand-by. The skeeters were bad. They buzzed around my face like fans on Bono after a concert. I felt special for the moment. That all changed after some of those skeeters decided to make me their last meal. They musta been hungry. I would never eat anything that smelled as bad as me in that moment. The area I was in is horribly uneven and holds water for weeks. Every time I bent over a sweat and OFF mixture went down my face and onto my lips. I was so numb from that stuff you could pulled my lips off and I would have felt it. 25% DEET BABY!!

Anyway, all I got from that place was about ten pounds of lead from one area....the banana spiders were everywhere. I walked face first into one while beeping and nearly soiled myself.....I was already muddy so no one woulda noticed anyway. Anyhoo, as I was beeping along (again with my head down) I took another web to the grill and this time I hit the ground on my butt hard, landing on my digger, clacking my teeth, and draining the rest of the sweaty OFF into my eyes. Naturally I jumped to my feet and assumed the Kung Fu position cuz I was about to whoop the hell outta that nanner spider for building a house RIGHT THERE!! No one was so home so I moved on. All those skeeters buzzing made my head spin. I couldn't believe the numbers. In the hundreds.....
Lead.jpg

Decided to move before I got hepatitis, malaria and polio. Moved over to another part of the camp where few people dare to go. I am pretty sure that this particular area had not been hit for a very very long time if ever at all. I will most definitely return to that place. I dug a......
CopperThing.jpg

And some.....
ScrapMetal.jpg

And finally this little.....
Bottle.jpg
which is in really great condition. This was the best macro shot I could get of it.

Suddenly the sky opened up without warning. No thunder. No lightning and no sprinkles. I got a shower!! I was about a half click due south of the extraction zone and it was getting heavier! I turned my MD around to carry it by the shaft and popped out the batteries and headed out. After 20 yards or so I was completely soaked!!

Once I got to the extraction vehicle I hit the AC and forgot my shirt was wet and it hit me like an ice cube. I had to drive home half naked some like kind of redneck. No offense to all my Oklahoma, Arkansas, Georgia and East Texas people :)
WetTshirt.jpg

Did I mention that I was the only one in the contest? I spared everyone the after photos! If you look hard enough you can.......

Upvote 0

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
I just love the smell, and taste of DET early in the morning. It smells and taste like victory.....or something like that. Keep em coming!

treasuretrucker

Jun 3, 2007
on the open road
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
i love the taste of banana spiders in the morning,they taste like chicken,or bananas,or chicken covered bananas,or banana sauce covered chicken,or.......... ;D

G

GoldSeals

That round metal thing with the soldered on piece is a carburetor float.
Regards,GoldSeals

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
The only Banana spiders I ran into were in Okinawa Japan, and it was HUGE, body the size of a baseball!! Don't remember if I had to change my drawers or not...

R

RUDY2003

Hey buddy, I'd go to Logan sometime as soon as my air pack and environmental suit are cleaned. I didn't get rained on yesterday but my shirt was sust as damp....Whew......

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Yes those Mosquitos are very hungry at Logan. I went once last month for a few hours and had dowsed myself with Deep Woods Off, and had another kind of spray for spraying while I was hunting. There was no breeze in the woods were I was at,and it was humid. I was spraying the repellant all over me and swatting them things to try and keep them off of me.

There were so many of them "skeeters" ....I felt like a test subject for accupunture :P :P

All I found was a crusty 1942 wheat penny.Too busy swatting the bugs to really concentrate on detecting. :(

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
That's a huge pile of lead man. Sounds like a day filled with hard work and a lot of outside influences. Nana spiders are definitely scary looking beasts. I can only imagine the size of them down there. They're pretty big up here. Hope the rain lets up for you guys soon. Good luck to you out there!

Smiles!
BDoo

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D :D :D :D :D :P You may want to wait till fall to go back to that site, TF. :D

Loved the story though! :D

Nana :D

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds despite the horrible conditions.
I enjoyed the humerous post.

I'm not familiar with Banana Spiders but I'll take it from your post, that's a good thing.

Those "skeeters" just might have made a meal out of you due to, as you described, the OFF spray mixing with your perspiration. This could have possibly diluted, or washed away, your 25% Deet protection.

Try this next time, REI Jungle Juice 100 - Spray Pump, I've used it with good results, it's 100% Deet.

Happy Hunting
Johnny Cache

Attachments

• Get Juiced.jpg
    Get Juiced.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 489
OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006