Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat scrapbook found-Civil War Vets, Yukon Gold, & Prentice/Prentiss Genealogy

This was a neat find at a garage sale back in the Fall. It is a scrapbook containing newspaper clippings and handwritten documents about the Wilcox/Prentiss/Spaulding/Goodwin families. Some of the really interesting newspaper clippings talk about the "gold-seekers" of the Yukon Basin and Klondike gold fields. These clippings were letters written by George M. Prentiss(Prentice) and printed in the newspaper as he was about the sail from Seattle, Washington in Feb. 1898. Articles tell of George Prentiss sending gold home to his friends and how he had several claims in and around Dawson and has an interest in the K.T. & T. Co.
There are also newspaper clippings that tell about some of the Civil War Veterans of the Drake Post No.4 of Manchester...One man in particular has quite a few clippings about him---O.W. Prentiss. Mr. Prentiss, at the age of 16, answered Lincoln's call for volunteers and inlisted into the Navy at Burlington, Vt. He was assigned to the Roanoke and was an eyewitness to the battle of the Merrimac and Monitor in Hampton Roads. When his sea enlistment was up, Mr. Prentiss enlisted in the Third Pennsylvania Cavalry and served in that regiment during the remainder of the War.....his regiment was stationed at Appotomatox Court House when Lee surrendered. Mr. Prentiss participated in 13 major engagements, among them being the historic battle of Cold Harbor and Lookout Mountain and the Seige of Vicksburg. Clippings also tell of him joining the 1888 gold rush to Calif. and finding a gold nugget which he brought back and made it into a ring worn by his wife.

In the scrapbook there are many pages of notes about the genealogy of the Prentiss families, papers from the Dept. of the Interior Bureau of Pensions(Revolutionary War Records Section) and others.
I think I will list this on eBay and see what it brings---Maybe someone from the Prentiss family will see it or someone who enjoys reading about the Yukon gold rush. Here's a few pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_8875 (650x456).jpg
    IMG_8875 (650x456).jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_8872 (650x638).jpg
    IMG_8872 (650x638).jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_8894 (650x482).jpg
    IMG_8894 (650x482).jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_8876 (461x650).jpg
    IMG_8876 (461x650).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_8896 (650x533).jpg
    IMG_8896 (650x533).jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_8901 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_8901 (650x433).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 503

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Neat scrapbook found-Civil War Vets, Yukon Gold, & Prentice/Prentiss Genealogy

I really love to find scrapbooks and have found a few in past years but that is an AWESOME find with documented history!! Good job and have fun looking that over, you can probably turn a good buck too reselling...if you want to.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Neat scrapbook found-Civil War Vets, Yukon Gold, & Prentice/Prentiss Genealogy

Thats good stuff. I love old ephemera, especially scrapbooks. Is that a valentines day card I see behind there? Are there any postcards or any other types of cards in there?

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

j.raud said:
I really love to find scrapbooks and have found a few in past years but that is an AWESOME find with documented history!! Good job and have fun looking that over, you can probably turn a good buck too reselling...if you want to.
I think old paper memorabilia is probably one of my favorite finds at garage sales! There is so much history in this book alone. I'll list it eventually on eBay and maybe someone from that family will see it and bid on it.
Thanks j.raud!
diggummup said:
Thats good stuff. I love old ephemera, especially scrapbooks. Is that a valentines day card I see behind there? Are there any postcards or any other types of cards in there?
Yes there were a couple of old valentines day cards in the book, and a pop-up German(?) Christmas card, and even one old picture negative. Thanks diggummup!

Attachments

• IMG_8899 (650x433).jpg
    IMG_8899 (650x433).jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_8903 (650x424).jpg
    IMG_8903 (650x424).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 476
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

For TNet member Tensas, info on the Goodwins mentioned in the scrapbook:

Attachments

• Goodwin-Bessey Genealogy.JPG
    Goodwin-Bessey Genealogy.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 482

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST

Have you tried to google the names from the album?

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

goldinmypan said:
Have you tried to google the names from the album?
No, I haven't googled the names mentioned in the album. It would be nice if someone in the Prentiss family saw this on TNet or maybe when I list it on eBay someone will be interested in it for genealogy purposes and buy it.
I don't know how in the world it ended up in Oklahoma :icon_scratch: , but it has sure been fun to read!
Thanks goldinmypan!!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

duffytrash said:
Thanks duffy!!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is a member on Tnet that researches stuff like this (genealogy). You should get in contact with her, maybe she could do a quick search on the family name/s. I believe her username is LadyDigger. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread