Neat story about my "solved" rock/fossil...wish I could recall who helped me.....

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat story about my "solved" rock/fossil...wish I could recall who helped me.....

.....someone said to send pictures to AZ curator Dave Gillette...and I did! Just can't recall who it was...sorry....speak up if it was you...I tried to look back on post but probably just missed it!? Anyway...sent pic's, he answered right away...very nice fellow. Said it looked like a Volcanic bomb...so that was solved. So we exchanged several emails and he told me several interesting things.

While writing him I found out that he's the guy who did the excavation of "Seismosaurus" here in NM...wow! And now is working on a project in Safford AZ and his specialty is the North American "Glyptotherium" or giant armadillo/VW like creature...an amazing & cute, in it's own way, beast! lol Dave has an amazing book out on the "Earthshaker" (seismosaurus)

...so just wanted to share with you "fossil" lovers, as it's very exciting for me to learn these things...here's some pictures. :)

017_700.png DavidGillette.jpg seismosaurus.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat story I'm not sure I remember exactly where you're located but do you think that volcanic bomb could actually be an artifact from the massive eruption from what is now the Yellowstone crater? I believe there is also obsidian near you that is a result of that blast

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to put a damper to the story, but seismosaurus never existed. Today, its considered a species of a previously described sauropod named diplodocus.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GatorBoy...Dave said it (my rock, which I did find in AZ) was from the large volcano in Flagstaff. The obsidian I find is said to be local, from a recent young volcano right in our area (NM), that's why it's not so degraded yet. But know that the Yellowstone one was massive and ash was wide spread.

Ninjafossils...yes, know the story about "Seismosaurua" being a larger diplodocus. That's just the name Dave gave it when they first found & excavated. I'm just impressed by this whole Dino/fossil thing no matter what name...as it's just an awesome way to be able to spend your time!

Last edited:
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GatorBoy....I was thinking about what you said about my " Volcanic bomb" thing....I don't know that much about the Yellowstone eruption...do you think it could have deposited some rocks here ( SW NM) ?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a big one

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread