Nebraska metal detecting laws

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up your city laws. Look up Parks division on metal detecting. The computer has vast amounts of information. Vast amounts.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I bet very few cities and counties in Nebraska have any mention of metal detecting in their city or county codes, laws, and/or rules. It's not something that's usually ever addressed on those levels. And if there's no prohibitions, presto, there's your answer: It's not prohibited. If you're skittish and wonder, then do as lady-pirate says: you can look up the laws for yourself. City laws, charters, muni-codes, etc... are often times on the city website. Or at a minimum, down at city hall in binder form for public viewing. If you see nothing there saying anything about detecting, presto, there's your answer. Look it up yourself, rather than asking some desk-bound person "can I metal detect?". Because you don't want to get someone to say "no", when no rule really exists, that says such a thing (simply because they're in a bad mood, or think you might harm earthworms, etc...).

And then wherever you go, still use due-discretion on timing. Avoid busy-body lookie-lous, since, afterall, detecting has connotations. So go at low traffic times. And naturally, avoid obvious historic sacred monuments, lest someone get their panties in knot. Don't go waltzing over beach blankets at an archie convention, etc.... But for run-of-the-mill city parks, sandboxes, beaches, I never hesitate to hunt wherever I travel to.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I like to go at high traffic times! If a few hundred are playing & watching sports games, they may not pay much attention to anything else. And I only go quite close to them when I'm putting trash in barrels. OTOH, if a police officer, park worker, or non-official is having a bad day or bored, & you're the only person in the park, guess who attracts attention & maybe gets bullied or worse? Does this make sense? Best wishes, George (MN)

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Last I heard in Omaha, you were supposed to go to park & rec HQ, fill out a short form, pay $1 & get a permit card for you to sign, that has treasure hunters code of ethics on back side. Plus as incentive to do this, they give you an Omaha map showing the locations of all parks.
Sounds like a good deal, but many parks are renovated & many experts with Minelabs detect these places frequently. Many Nebraska towns have an 1800s park. Maybe some 1800s places old people are suspicious of non-locals in general (not just detectorists), but many small towns are like that. Under city-data.com you can read city code & park & rec rules by clicking on websites. Best wishes, George (MN)

Sodbusterll

Aug 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are rules and regs pertaining to MD in NE. I just moved to Omaha and just inquired myself. A permit of $1 a year ( or $5 for 5 years ) can be obtained at the Parks and rec office at 3910 Harney st in Omaha. ph# 402-715-5009.... This permit is just for city parks and youll get a map with rules and reg with that. There are places that are off limits.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There are rules and regs pertaining to MD in NE. I just moved to Omaha and just inquired myself. A permit of $1 a year ( or $5 for 5 years ) can be obtained at the Parks and rec office at 3910 Harney st in Omaha. ph# 402-715-5009.... This permit is just for city parks and youll get a map with rules and reg with that. There are places that are off limits.

So what's your point ? If , in the case you mention, there IS a "place that is off-limits" (without a "permit"), then : That information can be learned by looking-it-up. There was STILL no need for an md'r to conclude "therefore I need to ask at every place I arrive at". They can look it up, to see if a "permit" exists. To avoid the "no one cared TILL you asked" psychology.

And if you absolutely do not know where to look it up (the city has no website listing their park rules and available permits), .... and you absolutely feel-the-need to talk to a live person, you just ask them: "Hi, where can I find a list of all the permits for park activities". Or "Where can I find the list of all rules pertinent to the use of the parks here" (eg.: dogs on leash, permit for over-night camping, etc....). Then when shown the list, presto, you can see if md'ing is listed on there or not.

And I must add:

a) It is VERY RARE for any city to have ever dreamed up the idea of "permits" for this. In the entire state of CA, for example, I can think of perhaps 3 cities where this was ever hatched. And in each of those, no one is EVER carded. And if you go to city hall, you have to look long and hard to find anyone who even knows what the heck you're talking about.

b) I have noticed that the mere mention of ANY city in the USA who , does indeed, have a "permit" system, has the following psychological effect: Skittish persons read of this (no matter how isolated, and no matter how far away), and think "aha! I need to go grovelling and inquire about permits wherever I come to". And then guess what happens ? The old "no one cared till you asked routine". Aaarrgghhh.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread