North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nebraska State Rec areas..in case you're wondering

I inquired about hunting local state rec area camp grounds only, conversation below.

Hello,
I was wondering what the policy was for metal detecting at Willow, I
am only interested in looking in the Camper pad areas and sandy beach
areas of the park. I wanted to check and see if that was allowed
before I came.

Thank You.

RE:
Updated regulations state: It is unlawful to Possess or use any mineral or metal detecting device at any NGPC areas.

Sorry, but I hope this answers your question. :nono:

Pat
for
Dan Sutherland, Park Superintendent
Willow Creek SRA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Well, you may have been a victim of the "... because you asked" psychology. Ie.: no one cared, until you asked. Because check this out. According to this link, state parks are ok in Nebraska (albeit in certain sandy or "developed" areas, etc..):

Federation of Metal Detector & Archaeological Clubs Inc.

And by the way: This oddity of getting different answers, depending on who you ask, or how you couch your question (and the mood they're in, etc...) is not unusual. This happens on a micro-scale in cities too. Ie.: one guy waltzes into city hall, asks a desk-bound bureaucrat, and gets a "sure, go ahead! woohoo!". Then a few years later, the next newbie also waltzes into city hall, asks the SAME question, and finds someone else to say "no". Because perhaps they think you'll harm earthworms or something.

So if you ask me, you should have looked it up for yourself (like this link from the FMDAC), and just gone. You can always print that out, if anyone bugs you. But odds are, unless you're being a nuisance in some other way, or bothering obvious historic monuments ..... well.... you know.

I don't know what "NGPC" stands for. But I'm assuming (based on the title-line subject) that is has to do with Nebraska state parks, not something federal, or something specific special within state parks (that is aside from, shall we say "regular" state park?).

And even some of those states on that FMDAC link with more dire-sounding info ..... believe it or not, detecting was (and still is) common-place. The reason is: the very nature of assembling a list like that, is that someone, decades ago, sends a form letter to all 50 states asking "what are the rules about detecting state parks in your state?" (much the way you did it). They find some desk-bound bureaucrat to tell them "no", and the answer goes into print. Then the old-timers, who never had a problem (assuming they stayed clear of obvious historically sensitive monuments), are left scratching their heads saying "since when?" :icon_scratch:

I inquired about hunting local state rec area camp grounds only, conversation below.

Hello,
I was wondering what the policy was for metal detecting at Willow, I
am only interested in looking in the Camper pad areas and sandy beach
areas of the park. I wanted to check and see if that was allowed
before I came.

Thank You.

RE:
Updated regulations state: It is unlawful to Possess or use any mineral or metal detecting device at any NGPC areas.

Sorry, but I hope this answers your question. :nono:

Pat
for
Dan Sutherland, Park Superintendent
Willow Creek SRA

OP
OP
QuarterMaster

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually did look it up before I emailed the Park Super, I know the Super, although not very well. Since this was from his "secretary" I may follow up and speak with him personally. The whole reason I actually bothered to even ask is it is stated in the regulations that IF it is permitted, meaning to me that although it is Specifically stated that it is not permitted the regulation is subject to the discretion of the Park Supervisor. NGPC (Nebraska Game & Parks Commission) The regulations can be found here http://www.sos.ne.gov/rules-and-reg..._and_Parks_Commission/Title-163/Chapter-5.pdf and the specific section states.

001.14C The possession and use of metal detectors is prohibited; Provided, possession of such a device is permitted subject to the following provisions:

001.14C1 Metal detectors may be used year around at designated state recreation area swimming beaches posted as open to such activity. During the period May 22 through September 7, usage is restricted to the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m., daily. Metal detectors must remain below the vegetation line above the beach.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Very interesting. On the one hand, you have the FMDAC website which simply says of Nebraska state parks:

"On beach areas only below the vegetation line."

It says nothing about DESIGNATED beaches " .....POSTED" as open to such activity.

Ok, so you found something more strict. So that leads me to another question: If this is the case there, then could you not have simply gone to the beach area you had in mind, to see if there was a sign "designating" that as just such a beach, and then simply hitting it within those given hours?

And odd that the answer you got is a flat out "no", while their own verbage does specifically allow them at certain areas. Just another example of the "easy answer" being "no".

And how much you want to make a bet that the reason for the discrepancy between what the FMDAC has, verses the changed verbage you found, is that the FMDAC's info. is probably older. And the reason for the changes over the decades, has no doubt come about by people seeking clarifications. And then you know what that means, right? It means: "wow, I guess we have to address this pressing issues of the repeated inquiries, so let's clarify with a bunch more "no's".

smartmoney

Dec 4, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt even ask that question especially in writing because they are not going to say yes even if they do not know the law. The worst they would say is "you cant do that here"...then you just pack up and go. OR you can play it like a homeless person and say "times are rough, Im looking for loose change". Im sure the liberals will set u free

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

smart-money, yes, the easy answer is always no. I'm convinced that if he had asked if he could wear a suit made of tree bark, and sing the star-spangled banner while standing in the park, he'd have been told he needs a parade permit, or no, etc...

Unless it was an obvious historic monument, odds are, no one would have cared. Might there be an anal park personell at even the most INNOCCUOS of sandboxes? Sure! There's always the potential for someone to gripe, no matter where you go. It'd be analogous to this: Being the hobby of car-stereo systems (audiophiles who love to get the loudest baddest *ss sound sytems in their custom cars to show off at car shows, etc...). Sure: you're going to catch flack from the little old lady next to you at the red light, who thinks your sound is too loud. And sure, perhaps some cop will come running up to you with a decibal meter and debate semantics on whether or not you exceeded decibal levels. If those things bothered an audio-phile, perhaps he's chosen the wrong hobby? (or simply needs to keep it turned off till he arrives at car shows).

There's nothing wrong with checking md'ing laws to make sure you're not running afoul of anything (if you're skittish/worried). The best way to do that, is to look it up for oneself. And even then, if you find it "murky and unclear", (ie.: not a specific "no") then all the more reason to simply go. But that's just me, and I'm not the type to be "shook up" too much, if someone wants to come appraise me otherwise.

I wouldnt even ask that question especially in writing because they are not going to say yes even if they do not know the law. The worst they would say is "you cant do that here"...then you just pack up and go. OR you can play it like a homeless person and say "times are rough, Im looking for loose change". Im sure the liberals will set u free

OP
OP
QuarterMaster

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smart-money, yes, the easy answer is always no. I'm convinced that if he had asked if he could wear a suit made of tree bark, and sing the star-spangled banner while standing in the park, he'd have been told he needs a parade permit, or no, etc...

Now That would probably fall under the "Annoyances" rule. I do have to agree with both of you though..Next time I wont bother to ask, Ill take into consideration the verbiage of the rules I find and look for signs and then just hunt if there are none present. It is a sandy beach after all...what harm can be done? Kinda silly if you ask me. Learned my lesson.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread