Neckerchief found in 150-year-old shipwreck restored - but remains shrouded in myster

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Amazing what the sands can hide - an entire intact wooden ship. "Neckerchief" seems an unlikely lead but this one appears to be worthy of the honor.

Surf_Pirate

Life's Short - Dig Deep
Mar 31, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great read. Thanks for the info. Amazed of what is still held under the beach sand

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What i always find amazing about these old wooden shipwrecks is just how small they were. Even the "big" sea going ones were relatively small. Some peoples leisure boats are bigger and more sea worthy.

shipo.jpg

Last edited:

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
What i always find amazing about these old wooden shipwrecks is just how small they were. Even the "big" sea going ones were relatively small. Some peoples leisure boats are bigger and more sea worthy.

That's always amazed me, too. Then you think about how hard life at sea was and you wonder why anyone would have done it back then. Two movies come to mind which provide a hint of how hard and miserable that life could be: "Bounty" (with Anthony Hopkins) and "Damn the Defiant!" with Sir Alec Guinness. And those movies don't come close to how really bad it could be. Throw in press gangs and "rum, buggery and the lash" and a normal person would gladly choose working in the salt mines for the rest of their life before choosing a life at sea.

OP
OP
Magoopeter

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I see you have travelled to the east

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
very interesting for sure. The Facebook page had a number of good photos with the meaning deciphered which was also interesting.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting for sure. The Facebook page had a number of good photos with the meaning deciphered which was also interesting.

And what was "the meaning deciphered" ? ? ?

Sorry but i dont use FakeBook.

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A.L.G.D.G.A.D.L = À la Gloire du Grand Architecte de L'Univers (To the Glory of the Grand Architect of the Universe).

AGGA.jpg

TRG

May 22, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A.L.G.D.G.A.D.L = À la Gloire du Grand Architecte de L'Univers (To the Glory of the Grand Architect of the Universe).

The abovetext and the image from the FB page. Not mine.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread