Need a detector to fit my needs - F5, DeLeon or ???

bradsguns

Jul 5, 2007
Shell Knob, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Vaquero
:dontknow:
Ok, I need help. I have read hundreds of posts and still need advice on a new detector.
Here is the story...I had a Minelab Xterra 70 which I had to sell when things got tight. Now, I am looking at replacing the unit with something different. Didnt use the ML much, but didnt like the push button only controls....call me crazy, but I want some knobs LOL.

I live in SW Missouri and will be primarily searching locally. Im interested in relics, as I love old civil war bullets, old nails...well, just about anything...but I also want to hit the parks and beaches(maybe once a month) for some coins & jewelry. My wife and I also plan to head out west once a year or so and do some recreational nugget hunting. I know its a lot to ask for, but I guess I need a good general purpose unit. I would of course be willing to get an additional coil or two if necessary, but we can really only swing one main unit for the predictible future.

I can go around $500, and upon reviews, Im looking at the Fischer F5, Tesora DeLeon or Vaquero...or another in that range. Please give me some advice.

Thanks in advance,
Brad

Upvote 0

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I like the Vaquero, I had used this detector for several months and have tried it in all the obove situations except for the beach. This is one of the best all around and capable detectors in my opinion. I do not see why it wouldn't be good on the beach. I got rid of a detector with touch pad as well and love the simplicity. The Vaquero has the ability to be supertuned to give you even more punch when needed and is explained very well in the owners manual. My vote would be the Vaquero for sure! Good luck

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vaquero is a great relic and coin detector. I would go with a Tejon for deep relics but it is more costly than the V. Both are very easy to use too.

Attachments

• frontpaneltejon.gif
    frontpaneltejon.gif
    54.1 KB · Views: 273
  • frontpaneltejon.gif
    frontpaneltejon.gif
    54.1 KB · Views: 250

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Unless you definitly want an tid,the V would be a great detector.The 5 is also a great unit but doesn't have the warranty that the Tesoro has and it 'feels' a little loose.I have had both units and both performed great.

Marko2

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2008
Manteno
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Surf pro, Whites MXT, Tesoro Cortes, Tesoro Vaquero
Been detecting 15 years plus now. Have or do own the top detectors. DFX, Explorer SE. Fisher f75. What i have found is i spent more time playing with the detectors than just hunting. So about 3 years ago i went to Tesoro's. Cortes, vaquero and Tejon. I use the vaquero almost all the time. Yes i may dig up more junk than before but my good finds have at least tripled. All i believe because you walk away and do not dig some signals because they are telling you to much and you think it is junk. I do use the Cortes or a MXT if it is really junky i mean really bad. Dont want to dig that much. I would put the vaquero or tejon againest any of them for depth. If they are tuned right they all get great depth. Yes i have had them all not beep on a target that others have. If only i could explain that. :dontknow:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marko2 said:
Been detecting 15 years plus now. Have or do own the top detectors. DFX, Explorer SE. Fisher f75. What i have found is i spent more time playing with the detectors than just hunting.

The better you know a detector the less you have to play with it. Did you ever think your problem might have been owning too many, or switching too often? I use an explorer and haven't done anything in the last 6-7 years but push my power button on.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
But .Iron Patch you don't have to change any settings on your detector from what i get from you is all you hunt is relic's...I know what you mean buy likeing knobs so do i those screens drive me crazy. I was going to get a F70 but all touch pads so give up on that. I love to turn those knobs. I got a Omega because it had two knobs on it. But it still has those numbers that jump up on the screen don't like that. To me i like the Minelab sovereign and a Tesoro I think all Tesoros go about the same depth some have meters some don't i don't want one with a meter. Don't get caught up in this Tesoro will get a inch deeper than that other Tesoro Could be today it will then tomorrow the other one will get the inch deeper there is to many factors involved for depth get what you like don't worry about that extra inch.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
But .Iron Patch you don't have to change any settings on your detector from what i get from you is all you hunt is relic's.

You get very wrong. :)

Attachments

• 10years2.jpg
    10years2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 10years2.jpg
    10years2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 215

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch you got me i thought from your post's that all you hunted was old war relics........

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Iron Patch you got me i thought from your post's that all you hunted was old war relics........

My sites give up both, and I'm glad because I like early coins just as much as relics. Early on I seemed to get over better relics but over time the coins did catch up.

OP
OP
bradsguns

bradsguns

Jul 5, 2007
Shell Knob, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon & Vaquero
Thanks Everyone.....
After your comments and continued research I've got it down to two... either the Vaquero or the Tejon. Gonna wait a few days and see if I can find a nice used Tejon or come up with a little extra $$$..Otherwise will go with the Vaquero. Both sound like great units.

Looks like the wife & I are going to try to make it to the CTH3 Hunt, so we need a little learning time beforehand. BTW, what is the deal with the camping (Gypsy Camp) ??? Do you all setup somewhere ?? Would like to get in on that....someone send me some details.

Thanks Again,
Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread