Need a ID on a "Not one cent" coin

nuggetrush

Greenie
Oct 2, 2012
Any info and or a price would be awesome, been having a time trying to find anything on this specific kind, must be rare.

ForumRunner_20130211_122004.png

ForumRunner_20130211_122135.png

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Civil war token, I don't have any specific references on me, but you might want to try searching for references on them and see if anything pops up.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Because of the world wide love of Specie Currency, from time to time, the value of the medal in coins would become greater than the value of the coins themselves. This resulted in nearly all coins being pulled from the market and businesses being left in the lurch to make change for whatever the customer needed. Many stores began to make their own coins good for store credit. The coins traded as well as the reputation of the store in question since if the store went out of business, the coin would become nearly worthless. This was a particular problem during the Civil War. Many people who made these tokens would also put on Political statements or sayings. Hard Times Tokens from the 1830s and Civil War Tokens of the 1860's are examples of this.

OP
OP
nuggetrush

nuggetrush

Greenie
Oct 2, 2012
Thank you for all the info, that helped me figure out what it is and what its worth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread