Need a light? Match box still has matches!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given the cooler weather here in the south i figured i would spend the day with my new Impact. As Murphy's law goes...the coil died and i was forced to go to my back up machine.

So, I hit an old park thats been pounded over the years and popped this very interesting box out of the ground at about 7 inches.

IMG_2090.JPG

I was not sure what it was at first and suspected it to be a makeup case or maybe even something better... like a change purse.

IMG_2093.JPG

Of course it wasn't any of the above but it did turn out to be something pretty interesting. A match box with matches still inside!

IMG_2097.JPG
Anyone need a light? it still had 4 matches left. Talk about a surprise!

Anyhow...Happy hunting everyone.

Upvote 26

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
cool find that looks old

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ...to bad about your Impact ?
Gary

Yea it sucked...i got a check coil message when i turned it on. i fiddled with the connections for about a half hour before i gave up. When i got home i put the small coil on that came with it and it fired right up.
I switched the coils back and forth a few times and sure enough...the large coil was bad. At least i don't need to ship the whole thing back for repair. I will contact the dealer or nokta in the morning. It will all work out...Nokta has pretty good customer service. I was very happy with the way they treated me when i broke my pinpointer...my fault on that one and they worked with me.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea it sucked...i got a check coil message when i turned it on. i fiddled with the connections for about a half hour before i gave up. When i got home i put the small coil on that came with it and it fired right up.
I switched the coils back and forth a few times and sure enough...the large coil was bad. At least i don't need to ship the whole thing back for repair. I will contact the dealer or nokta in the morning. It will all work out...Nokta has pretty good customer service. I was very happy with the way they treated me when i broke my pinpointer...my fault on that one and they worked with me.

Everyone makes a lemon from time to time. Please keep us posted as to the speed you get a replacement coil for your machine. I am interested in the Impact someday soon I reckon. I have heard Nokta is great in their customer relations and hope to hear you confirm that in this instance. Cool old match container too BTW.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the nice match case find! Sorry but the matches look too far gone to strike a pose with you.:laughing7::tongue3:

Frank

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ammoman
I have a Nokta Relic and i hear their Customer service is very good and fast ,good luck with your Impact.
gary

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a very cool find.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things like this are great to find. I'm thinking it's from no later than the 1920s?. Last May, I did some work in Ft Calhoun, Nebraska. While in that area, I made a visit to the museum that displays the artifacts recovered from the wreck of the steamboat Bertrand that was lost in 1865 on a run to Fort Benton, Montana with cargo destined to the new gold strike town of Virginia City, MT. I was amazed of what was all recovered and how well the artifacts were preserved in the river mud. Here's picture I took of a wood case full of stick matches that never made to it's final destination so long ago. I'm sure the match heads dissolved away as soon as they got wet. Steamboat Bertrand Collection - DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge System

Attachments

• trip 051017 7.jpg
    trip 051017 7.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats something you don't see everyday. Congrats! [emoji2]

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice relic find! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's picture I took of a wood case full of stick matches that never made to it's final destination so long ago. I'm sure the match heads dissolved away as soon as they got wet. Steamboat Bertrand Collection - DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge System

Thanks for the great info on the possible age. I knew the match box was old but i was not sure how old. I found it within about 30 feet of a creek and now i am wondering if their is a sunken ship near by? lol just kidding about the ship. Still...maybe some anaerobic conditions going on that helped preserve the match sticks. i am sure the sticks will degrade and fade away without proper preservation but i am not really concerned. I have the pictures to prove they were there.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN THAT WIILLLL LOOK NICE IN A SHOWCASE...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread