Need a little help from the Michigan Tnetrs...

Wheezy

Dec 21, 2006
Jacksonville Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Prizm V
Need a little help from the Michigan T'netrs...

Hello All,
Hi my name's Tom but I go by Wheezy here on T'net. I'm coming up to the Higgins Lake area of Michigan the 16th of May through the 20th. I'm accompanying a friend of mine whose family is from the Detroit area and every year the "guys" head out for a little fishing, cards, cigars, and well you get the idea. I'm not that into the fishing part so I was planning on bringing my detector up and giving it a go. But after reading up on the restrictions around the Higgins Lake area I'm not real sure I want to. We are staying up around the Grayling area in a camping area near the Manistee River. Ever hear of it? It's my first time up to this neck of your woods. Last year we went up to Port Sanilac. Had a great time. I didn't take my detector with me on that trip but vowed to the next time. Do you think I'd be wasting my time up there with it? I'll have access to a car so I can get around but I'm not familiar with the area. Any suggestions? I really appreciate you taking the time to read this. Hope to hear from you soon.

Wheezy

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
here's my 2 cents...

the manistee river is a popular canoeing river. find the places where they launch and hunt downstream. houghton lake is just south of higgins both large lakes with lots of places to hunt. i believe you can hunt the state park on the south shore of higgins but not the park on the north shore. if you look down this list of postings you'll find some links that can answer the question for sure. if you can't find them then check this site out. http://swmss.org
you could also head west over to ludington and hunt the beach of lake michigan there. if you have waders or a wetsuit bring them. the water will still be very chilly in may. you can also get a book of county maps that would show all of the local parks that should be good hunting. i'm sure that there are some good places to hunt along lake huron as well i just know of them.

anyway i hope you have a great time and wish you much success.

hh

kapt. kos

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Need a little help from the Michigan T'netrs...

To my thinking any time you can detect is a good time. If you hit the beaches, be sure your detector can locate pull tabs as this is where the gold rings will read too. Try it on a clean piece of ground. Lay down a pull tab and a gold ring and disc. out the pull tab and wave the coil over the ring. If you set the disc. to high, you will lose out on the more valueable finds.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are many state forest campgrounds in the area as well as canoe landings. All can be good spots. The state parks all have designated MD areas so it's best to check in at park headquarters for info on where you can and can't detect. I think there are some old CCC campsites in the area too...stop in the local chamber of commerce or visitor center for info.

Stop in the local watering hole and ask the grizzliest, oldest, dirtiest looking character at the bar where all the treasure is buried....on second thought, maybe you better not do that.

Jim

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other

Oh sure, I know this area well, Wheezy. You're right about restrictions. The northern lower part of Michigan is closely watched by DNR officers. Much of it is state land and everything on state land today is preserved for state recognized archaeologists.

I've heard of people being fined for attempting to carry stones off state properties in the Grayling area. One person in Grayling got fined for pulling off the road on state land to change her baby's diaper.

I've never met him but there's a DNR officer in the Grayling area that's well known for busting people.

I don't really hunt the places you mention mainly due to the restrictions and potential for trouble with the law in that area.

But nobody can stop you from hunting private property with permission. For me, this is all that's left. I look for a hot spot and once found I'll work it for years.

Best to you but if you do the ghost towns or work the rivers watch out for those dark green trucks with big antennas. ;)

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread