Jericho

Apr 22, 2019
upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone,
Wondering if anybody out there can help me identify this awesome button, i dug it at an early 1800's home site. in saratoga county, NY.

It is about 22 mm, the front says: STEAM BOAT COMPY. It has an eagle facing to the left, with a shield hanging from its beak (cant make out any details on the shield), also has laurel leaves in its talons. Below is a steam boat. There are thirteen stars above the eagle. on the back side its reads: Slater & Co. treble gilt, also finely scripted is some scroll work and the words Rich Orange.

I know that it is a Flat cast button, and that treble gilt is a gold plating process and that Rich orange is a quality mark.

I'm curious if this was a U.S. Navy Button or a civilian steam boat company button, I have searched for any info on the Slater & Co. but have not found any reference to that company , even check with some UK sites.

Any insight would be appreciated, This is one of the best buttons I have ever found, very excited about this one.

Thanks
Jericho slater button front.jpg slater button back.jpg

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find and congrats!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
t_o.gif
1st - Nice find Jericho.

tn_md.gif
2nd - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Jericho! Take a look at Forum: Texas for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
J

Jericho

Apr 22, 2019
upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Creskol

Thank you very much for taking the time to post that photo and the information.
This was one of the nicest condition buttons that i have found thus far, its great to know a little about its history.
Makes perfect sense that it was used on the Hudson river.

thanks again
Jericho

OP
OP
J

Jericho

Apr 22, 2019
upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you everybody for the kudos and Welcome greetings, hope you become a regular contributor to this awesome site.

Jericho

OP
OP
J

Jericho

Apr 22, 2019
upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you everybody for the kudos and Welcome greetings, hope you become a regular contributor to this awesome site.

Jericho

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jericho, Congrats to you on the find of that beautiful button. Very nice. Also, A shout out to Creskol on the ID.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread