Need a Little Help With my Cen-Tech/Harbor Freight Pinpointer.....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted this in the metal detecting forum but got no response. So, I figured I'd try it here:

--------------------------------
--------------------------------

Well I'm still using my genuine, imported, (from far, far off in the Orient) modified, Harbor Freight special, Cen-Tech Hand Held Metal Detector/"pinpointer".

It's still working great but I still have the problem of it getting too hot in the sun and not working. There's an adjustment on the board to set it to the ambient temperature. I know that some people drill a hole over the adjustment screw and carry along a small screwdriver to make on the fly adjustments if necessary.

This is what I want to do but I need to know where exactly on the board the actual adjustment screw is/which pot it is. I already know that the blue pot is the overall sensitivity adjustment. I just need to know where the one I need is so I can drill my hole in the right spot.

I'm trying to do this without opening it up again if that's even possible. The wires in this thing are SO delicate I don't want to risk breathing on them or anything if I can help it. One false move and these things can be toast in a second.

Such a fine machine.....

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
My advice, which shows my personal prejudice, is to scrap the Harbor Freight toy and get a
real pinpointer.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am with galenrog. Save up all of your clad until you have enough to buy a Propointer. I have owned a Centec, and the Propointer is much, much better.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I appreciate the advice and I intend to get a better unit for myself. I realize the Propointer is the best of the best. I would go buy one today if I really needed it but I really don't.

I know that the Cen-Tech out the box is a piece of crap to say the least. The switch on the second one I got didn't last an hour.

That being said, I still would like to know how to make the adjustment. I take a few kids hunting and it's great to have two extra pinpointers to pass out. They're perfect for kids.

Also, After doing the mods, these things actually work surprisingly well. I've replaced the switches, added quieter chimes, adjusted the sensitivity and and added metal rings to the shafts to increase the distance by almost double. The only issue left is the sensitivity to heat. There's actually a component that can be added to eliminate the problem entirely (a thermistor I believe) but I'd rather not install more parts if I can avoid it.

I actually enjoy taking something that's not very good and creating a decently functioning tool out of it for less than 5 bucks. I've beaten the hell out of these things and they just keep working.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the info and got it straightened out. I tested it in the hot sun today and was able to easily make it work perfectly.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread