Need a new metal detector for relics

dvdwin

Mar 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

Right now I have a Fisher F5 and it's nice but it seems like it doesn't find the deep stuff. Maybe I am wrong. Also, something very annoying is it can't tell the difference between gold and pull tabs and I pull up a lot or pull tabs and have struck gold with it once but it came up as "pull tab" on the detector. To me, that's a lot of time wasted, but I always dig it up to make sure. I want to get something that is good for finding stuff from the early 1800's. I'm not sure how deep that would mean I would have to go. I do find stuff, but I never find stuff that's very deep. The deepest I have found something was about 7-8 inches. Maybe. Usually I find a lot of stuff that is 2-4 inches. Is there stuff deeper that I'm missing out on? If so what metal detector do you guys recommend. Thanks. BTW my budget is about 600 bucks. Give or take a 100.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your detector is working. I always find you need to get the shallow targets out of the way to get the deeper one. I cant tell you how deep to dig, as there is some questions about frost and plowed fields bringing finds up to the surface. I believe the T2 and AT Pro is in your budget. I have seen the T2 at work, I would buy one. If you find a machine that doesnt dig foil, bottle caps, and pull tabs please let me know. Congrats on the gold find.

OP
OP
D

dvdwin

Mar 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like your detector is working. I always find you need to get the shallow targets out of the way to get the deeper one. I cant tell you how deep to dig, as there is some questions about frost and plowed fields bringing finds up to the surface. I believe the T2 and AT Pro is in your budget. I have seen the T2 at work, I would buy one. If you find a machine that doesnt dig foil, bottle caps, and pull tabs please let me know. Congrats on the gold find.

Thanks for the reply and detector suggestions. I will check them out. It sounds like you're saying the foil is always gonna be a problem. I'll let you know when I find that machine that everyone dreams of :)

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
You might also consider browsing Fisher Research Labs...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

Right now I have a Fisher F5 and it's nice but it seems like it doesn't find the deep stuff. Maybe I am wrong. Also, something very annoying is it can't tell the difference between gold and pull tabs and I pull up a lot or pull tabs and have struck gold with it once but it came up as "pull tab" on the detector. To me, that's a lot of time wasted, but I always dig it up to make sure. I want to get something that is good for finding stuff from the early 1800's. I'm not sure how deep that would mean I would have to go. I do find stuff, but I never find stuff that's very deep. The deepest I have found something was about 7-8 inches. Maybe. Usually I find a lot of stuff that is 2-4 inches. Is there stuff deeper that I'm missing out on? If so what metal detector do you guys recommend. Thanks. BTW my budget is about 600 bucks. Give or take a 100.

Welcome to reality! There is NO machine - Not One, that will tell you the difference between gold and aluminum. When you switch from All Metal, to Discriminate you lose depth (anywhere from 1" - 4" depending on the machine). If you want to go as deep as possible - with ANY machine, you need to hunt in All Metal. With that said, you may just be hunting where there is nothing deeper to find. In 35+ years of detecting, one thing I can say for certain is LOCATION is most often more important than the machine you are swinging. If the good stuff is there you will snag it at 7" or less 90-percent of the time. If it ain't there, you can't find it. There is no magic formula for depth. Bigger Coil, max power, and minimal discrimination = maximum depth. You have a good machine - continue to learn how to use it!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If you are digging targets from 7-8", you are probably digging things from the early 1800's unless you are digging in shifting sand or flooded or washed out areas. Terry about nailed it down in his post. Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread