Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
with a Pi you are going to get iron - which in fresh water means a lot of nails and steel hooks from fishing
if you are used to digging it all - then a PI could be good for you
I use CZ21's in rivers and lakes
Tiger shark might be machine for you

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the tiger shark. My partner has one.
I use the Excalibur. A little pricier; I like the iron null feature for the bobby-pins. :headbang:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much as I like P.I.'s fresh water lakes and rivers are one place where the twin and multifrequency detectors come into play. In the sea the salt eventually breaks down iron and steel and the wave action works on large alloy. Inland all this metal can sink into the mud and be preserved for generations to plague your childrens children.

Use the minimum discrimination you can bare and a small coil waterproof detector. Ability to change coils is a real advantage.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab excalibur II for me. I wish you luck. HH, Hamid.

pizza lover

Mar 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the whites Beach Hunter is a great machine. It is a dual-frequency and it cost about $400 less than the Minelad Excal . I have found gold, silver items and coins down as far as 20 inches.

goldhungry

Jan 2, 2009
Kimball. Mi
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark. Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another vote for the Tiger Shark.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal 2 is a good detector ,$1349 . Sea Hunter MK2 is a good detector $637 and go's a foot deeper than an excal. yes you will dig up iron and very small gold,pennys as deep as 18 inches, gold ring as deep as 18 to 26 inches. you can buy 2 sea hunters for the price of 1 excal 2. I have owned an excal, CZ-20,and I now own a Sea Hunter go's very,very deep.

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your just on the beach and along the river bank the MXT will find it all, if your going under water you should be able to find a beach hunter for about 800 or a surfmaster for a little less then 800

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to be digging tiny pieces of iron buried in ground for years get a PI, if you can find a freshwater beach or swimming hole where no 1 has ever done any fishing or built docks them a PI would be great, .personally if it was me I would get an excalibur you can hunt freshwater lakes and rivers never dig any tiny pieses of iron and if you ever decide to take a vacation to a beach you already have the perfect detector for the beach, but that is just my personal opinion.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While you won't find iron with that excal, you'll make up for it with aluminum bits and microscopic foil bits. If freshwater is your primary hunting ground, you'll want the Tesoro Tiger Shark. No other can compete with it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freshwater...AT pro...lighter than the others and will find thin chains and small hoop ear rings plus all the other stuff.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureHunter...Just noitced your now a moderator...Im glad you are.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'd have to go with an Excal with the addition of matching connectors so I would have the ability to use a wide variety of search coils, say from 6" all the way up to a WOT. With this setup and the null feature there wouldn't be much you couldn't hunt very effectively. But it's gonna cost you quite a bit in order to achieve the entire setup.

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I too am in this market. Have not been water hunting of late as I took delivery of a pro pointer so I can learn with my uMax - after the ease of sand, scratching about in dirt for tabs was not fun - now it is painless - I've had fun. However I primed myself for a beaut park hunt yesterday and guess what - it rained. I got to thinking that parks, like the beach are quiet when the weather is not good . I thought "I want a waterproof uMax" - so I'm guessing a Tiger shark may be overkill - but could be the answer. I've also got my eye on some freshwater lakes etc so it would obviously be the duck's nuts at these times.
Another part of me wants an Excal or CZ21 and may pull either trigger so I like the opinion on this thread. Not working for two weeks so am back to some salt this week. Oh and some great finds of late... congrats to all looters.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know the best thing about a PI detectors is the Gold that is being masked by iron . With out a PI detector ,you will miss it. With a PI detector you will find it !!!!!

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Excaliburs, very versatile in one's hunting of different places..... I prefer smaller coils for lakes and rivers, and the ruff ocean waters
Second choice would be CZ20/21 8 inch

You know the best thing about a PI detectors is the Gold that is being masked by iron . With out a PI detector ,you will miss it. With a PI detector you will find it !!!!!

That's One of the reasons why Reverse Double Discrimination hunting with the Excalibur Rocks! Your close to the depth of a PI, and you have discrimination..with the machine and your mind. So no targets area missed....Ron Nice Gold there Buddy, see things are picking up for you..:skullflag:

Good Choice on Treasure Hunter as a Mod!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron mask is 1 of the good things about minelabs excalibur, i have recovered gold rings and iron in the same scoop because the excalibur told me there was gold with the null signal i got.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureHunter...Just noitced your now a moderator...Im glad you are.

thank you looking down, l considered it an honor when john asked me, i hope i can continue to help all members.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions