Need advice asap

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Hi everyone. I need some advice asap...I have the chance to pick up a near mint condition Explorer II on Ebay for $650. I can get the cash by this Monday the 28th (though it will require some financial gymnastics on my part). Should I go for it? The reason I'm asking is that I've had real trouble in locating a used E-Trac (most that are listed sell within 24 hrs of initial listing), and it might be a while before I can get the $$ to buy a new one. I am having trouble in deciding between a used Explorer II or a new E-Trac....HELP!!!! :help: :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad the Impaler said:
Hi everyone. I need some advice asap...I have the chance to pick up a near mint condition Explorer II on Ebay for $650. I can get the cash by this Monday the 28th (though it will require some financial gymnastics on my part). Should I go for it? The reason I'm asking is that I've had real trouble in locating a used E-Trac (most that are listed sell within 24 hrs of initial listing), and it might be a while before I can get the $$ to buy a new one. I am having trouble in deciding between a used Explorer II or a new E-Trac....HELP!!!! :help: :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

MrSenior should chime in here. He had hunted with the EXII for a long time in the past, and actually thinks it's better than the E-trac. That's coming from a veteran of MD'ing. Looks like a good price too.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would , I do not see much deference between the two, yes there are some changes , but from what I can see the E-Trac has two more search modes that this one does .

Are they the same ? No
But are the deference's enough to make one better than the other for you !

I guess it comes down to how much it cost , and what you want out of the machine.
Both are great machines and if It was me I would buy the Explorer if the price was right.

And remember ,this is a good machine and if you wanted you could always sell it if you did not like how it ran.
And it would give you time to save up some cash so if you wanted you could go ahead and get the E-Trac later.

It is your money and how you feel about the machine and you are the only one who knows how you feel about them both .

Good luck and I am sure either way you go you will be happy with what you get ! :icon_salut:

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Ask yourself this question:

If I buy the EX II and see a bunch of great finds being posted by the E-trac owners, am I going to regret not getting the E-trac?

That's how I felt when I bought the SE Pro.

Either way, you'll have a nice detector, you just need to make the choice you'll be happy with in the long run.

Good luck!

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
UPDATE: if all goes well, there will be a like new E-Trac on its way to me on Monday.... ;D I'll keep everyone posted...and will let everyone know if everything works out ok...thanks for the help/advice.

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like I am late to the party,but what the heck I will chime in...
I am with Neil on this one,I have been in the same boat...Bought a Se Pro but wanted an Etrac,Two months later I was ordering the Etrac...And for me it was the right move....the grass is always greener will get you,trust me.. :tongue3:

I would recommend a Se Pro or an Se if you cant get the Etrac now,you would be getting a newer machine in most cases and probably more life left in it....I bought a used SE with pro coil (which makes it a SE pro) in the price range of the Explorer II you are looking at for a backup machine...so they are out there..

In closing I admit I have never used an Explorer II,it could be a better machine...But I would go with the newer model...

Hope you get the Etrac you are working on...

Soup

M

MR Senior L4S

Clad the Impaler said:
UPDATE: if all goes well, there will be a like new E-Trac on its way to me on Monday.... ;D I'll keep everyone posted...and will let everyone know if everything works out ok...thanks for the help/advice.
///////////////////////// ONLY ---------- ET or EX II ------------- dnt think of something different NO 3X for EX ES or ES pro ---------------- IF You looking for $ walue (( or buy V3 and collect clads for EX II or ET ))--- HA HA

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
SECOND UPDATE: I will be purchasing a brand new E-Trac from Mike at Woodland detector sales this Friday the 4th. I'm also getting a set of gray ghost ndt 'phones. I will let everyone know when the new detector arrives. Thanks to everyone for their help, advice, and support. I am still planning on buying a good condition Explorer II sometime later this year, and will probably keep my Ace 250 as a standby for tot lot duty.

Corinth1812

Jun 16, 2009
Corinth, Illinois It aint on the map! Southern
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac w/sunray probe, Excelerator EQ2 coil
If you need any help with that e-trac, settings ect....send me a pm, ive had mine for two years and i love it, wouldnt trade it for anything. They are excellent in trashy areas, espcecially with a 6inch excelerator coil. Good luck, youll love it. Dave.

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you probably made the right decision to get the Etrac.
I say *probably* because you have to keep in mind it's a very different machine than what you're used to.
You will have to be patient while you learn how to use it.
I can think of someone who got one last year and didn't have the patience for it and got rid of it.

Once you get past the newness and weirdness of it, it's a matter of training your ears to listen for the tones that are the desirable tones. Don't rely on the visual display readout only. It tends to lag behind the audio response and at times can even seem stuck on the previous target numbers in certain ground.

Depending how you set it up, you can have a wide range of options.

I'm sure once you get it, several people (including myself) can go out and show you settings and how our machines respond (or don't respond) to various targets.

Now if I could just get mine to NOT respond to those 12 to 18 inch deep beer and pop cans...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread