Need advice from Coin Collector's

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow Coin Collector's and Treasure hunters!

I have a dilemma. I saw on the news there is a coin shortage in the US due to COVID19. Its even spread to my area because when I went to the bank, they had to limit the coin rolls I was getting due to the shortage.

Now granted, I found 3 wheaties in those rolls, but I dont think I can coin roll hunt at the moment due to the coin shortage.

I normally coin roll hunt, but it looks like I cant right now.

Heres where I need advice. Since I cant really coin roll hunt, how else can I hunt for coins? Shopping and getting change? Metal detecting?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Jared

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Metal detector for them, you might get much older ones. I believe their shortage was caused by the lobby being closed for months. Lots of people have change.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting or flea markets or internet sales. For instance buying 500 or 1,000 mixed wheat cents on Ebay or elsewhere.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't understand. If there is a shortage where are all the coins?

Most people are probably like me. I get home from shopping and throw my coins in a jar. Do that for years and the coins add up. It's just kinda an "invisible" savings system. It adds up over time, My 6 year span this time gives me certainly a couple hundred bucks, never even missing it. Maybe my bank will be happy to see me, for a "change" :)

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Start metal detecting, never a shortage of coins!:icon_thumleft:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Start metal detecting, never a shortage of coins!:icon_thumleft:

Hey Prof, I keep them finds separate from the change I get at stores :) Ya know we all gotta have multiple delights along the way.

I just counted up my spare change for the 6 years I've been retired. Don't add up to nothing much, but it's $101 I wouldn't have had otherwise.

Maybe tomorrow I'll hit the drive thru and see if they want that weight in that tray so I can stay "clean".

But, I've been with this bank nearly 50 years. Maybe they need my coins. I'm fine if they don't. Stay safe out there!

Sure was fun rolling up that jar of coins - though I did expect more than $101.

Maybe I need to spend more money so I'd get more change? Nah....... I'm pretty happy with what I have. And really, really, I did have pure entertainment rolling up that jar :)

OP
OP
J

jnicholes

Mar 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. Sorry it took so long to get back, I got a new phone and was setting it up. I’ll invest in a metal detector then. That may be my best bet.

Thanks again!

Jared

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I don’t believe there’s a lot of coin stashed at home, very few use cash today, and roughly 70% of Americans barely have $1k in savings.
They’re tapped out.

You could always advertise on Craigslist that you will pay paper money for rolled change. An idea I’ve had for years, but never tried.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It might even be BS.......:laughing7:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make the rounds of every coin star and coin counting machine in your area and check the reject tray. They aren’t found often but there are nice old coins that some times end up in the reject tray. My avatar is a civil war penny I found in one a couple of years ago, and just this year a shield nickel. With hard times there may be more people dipping into their coin stashes and cashing them in.

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There isn't a shortage per se, there is a disruption in the proper flow of coinage as we know it due to the kung flu. I think there is a multi page thread here discussing it so no need to get too far into it but stands to reason, flow of coniage has taken a hit for a number of reasons.

I normally fill a jar with coins a few times a year and cash it in, jar holds about $100. [I stopped separating my pocket change from detector finds years ago, just seemed kinda pointless to me] Since March I probably have about 4 of those jars, and another big pickle jar stuffed with $1's. Also have hefty bags full of bottles, bottle return line is always going out the door so I am going to wait until the crowd thins out. Probably alot of folks doing the same, so that explains some of these disruptions from normalcy, bound to be a number of cause/effect scenarios at play that we have never dealt with before.

As to the OP, yeah MD would be an obvious route to take, and if you are in it primarily for lost change I think you are a minority because most guys want gold rings, relics, very old coins. Nothing wrong with seeking pocket change, certainly an easier task than a gold ring or 1800's silver dollar.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread