Need Advice From Experienced Prospectors

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
Hello,

I want to try to do some prospecting in Wisconsin. Here is the problem; I've never done it before and I don't know anyone who has.

Here are some of the things I need help with and a little information on where I would like to try:

The area I'm looking at is a small creek that flows year-round. It starts at a spring that was dammed up years ago, about 3/4 of a mile from where I have access to.

The stream itself is anywhere from 2 feet to 8 feet wide and anywhere from 8 inches to 3 feet deep (other than when we get heavy rains or spring snow melt-off).

The creek flows generally west to east here where it starts.

The area where the creek flows is in a fairly deep valley with tall limestone/sandstone walls bordering it in on the south side. The north side is fairly level to the creek.

The creekbottom itself is sandy gravel and some areas have little ripples (mini-rapids) with larger rocks in it. The areas with the bigger rocks are no bigger than say, the size of a persons head.

My first question is: given this description, where should a person start. Are the spots near the faster-flowing areas generally more productive than say, the slower flowing areas?

Are there any certain types of rocks or minerals that I should be on the lookout for, that generally give a better indication that gold may be present.

Basically, I need a starting point on the creek to try, most likely with a simple pan.

So, the firs question is: Where should I start?

Then, my question would be, how should I do it? I have the ability to make a small sluice as most of the things I need I already have. Or should a person just use a pan to begin with and then try the sluice if they find color?

Any information on how to start out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals,

Ryan1979

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I'd have to take a look at Wisconsin, but I'm guessing most of the area is glacial till?

That means if any gold deposits are around, they are scattered and hard to trace.

Check the flatter, wider areas of the stream first, nearer to the top end where the water slows down first. Those would be your first drop out points.

Inside bends of course, everyone will tell you that.

Check the roots of larger trees growing near the waters edge.

All these areas should be checked with a pan, sampling the harder packed dirt. Sure, check out a couple pans of looser stuff, but I generally just rake that stuff off and get down to the harder packed soil.

Once you have found an area that produces decent color, look for a place to set up a sluice. The more material you can move, the better.

Screen your bank run material down to 1/2 or 1/4 inch, but no finer- takes too long. Then start feeding the sluice. A two person team can get a good operation going when sluicing, as one can dig and one can feed the sluice.

Get a good book or two on panning and sluicing techniques and get out and practice. Its awkward at first, but you get better in very little time at all. Practice with BB's or real small lead shot. You can make flakes with lead shot, just hammer it down and cut it up.

If you can catch BB's or small lead shot, you are ready to get gold, no problem.

OP
OP
Ryan1979

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
Jeffro said:
I'd have to take a look at Wisconsin, but I'm guessing most of the area is glacial till?

That means if any gold deposits are around, they are scattered and hard to trace.

Check the flatter, wider areas of the stream first, nearer to the top end where the water slows down first. Those would be your first drop out points.

Inside bends of course, everyone will tell you that.

Check the roots of larger trees growing near the waters edge.

All these areas should be checked with a pan, sampling the harder packed dirt. Sure, check out a couple pans of looser stuff, but I generally just rake that stuff off and get down to the harder packed soil.

Once you have found an area that produces decent color, look for a place to set up a sluice. The more material you can move, the better.

Screen your bank run material down to 1/2 or 1/4 inch, but no finer- takes too long. Then start feeding the sluice. A two person team can get a good operation going when sluicing, as one can dig and one can feed the sluice.

Get a good book or two on panning and sluicing techniques and get out and practice. Its awkward at first, but you get better in very little time at all. Practice with BB's or real small lead shot. You can make flakes with lead shot, just hammer it down and cut it up.

If you can catch BB's or small lead shot, you are ready to get gold, no problem.

Thanks, that will get me started nicely!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions