old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the deal. I have a 25 foot camper trailer. I will be pulling it with my full size pickup with topper. Its standard bumper pull type trailer. The tongue is taken up with the propane tanks and batteries. Storage room is next to non existant on the camper. On my pickup I need to carry my atv, tool box and a small compressor.

My wife and I are retiring in a few months and going on the road for a while. So the camper and truck will be our home and transportation for at least a year. We plan on going on the road and doing what we want while we stil have our health and can actually do some things. Like prospect and treasure hunt..we have our detectors and backpack dredge, drywasher and assorted prospecting gear. Going to live our dream for a while.

The only problem I am running into is our generator and finding somewhere to put it when we are going down the highway. Its too big to go in the back of the pickup with our ATV and compressor and toolbox back there. The generator is a 5k. I do have a 2.5 k generator that I could take instead which is smaller but I have my doubts about it powering the camper especially when I need to run the AC.

I was thinking about building a platform of some kind onto the back of the camper but I worry about the weight on the frame since this camper doesnt have the heavy duty frame that the older campers used to. Our older camper which was bigger than this one was setup to haul another trailer or small car behind it. No way could I do that with our current one. And putting it up on the roof, no way.

So suggestions? Ideas? There is no place in under storage nor room. Only one storage space and its too small. I am lost here. Its looking more and more that I might be stuck with the 2.5k generator. Which I dont want.

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldie1959 said:
put a rack on the front bumper ? will it impede air flow to radiator ?

That is a possibility. I hadnt thought of it. It could impede airflow unless it is offset somewhat but then it would block the lights. This generator though is not one of those fully encosed one and has a fair sized opening to allow the flow of air. Only problem is potential damage to the generator because of road hazards and even rain. Its not designed to for such exposure without a cover.

Its beginning to look more and more like I will be stuck with the smaller 2.5k There are some 3.0k size or 3.5 I think that might be ok. Will have to think on it some more. It would be great if I could build a platform on the back of the camper. I am going to examine the frame closer and maybe look at the specs. If I can reinforce the frame slightly to handle the additional load. only looking at about 200 or 250 pounds additional weight from the generator itsef, not counting the weight of the platform. 300 total. It should be able to handle that...I will have to check. Maybe check with the local RV dealer and see what they have to say.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Why not forget the generator and install a inverter?With an inverter,you may have to carry a couple extra cans of gas for the PU,but that would be easier to find space for and if you fill up just before stopping,would be no problem.(you may have to put a larger battery in the PU,don't know what you have now.

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
Hi Gold Chaser,

Maybe a couple pictures of your camper and frame. It could spark the discussion a bit. A trick hot rodders use to strenghten the frame of old cars is to box the channel. Not sure how much you would gain but it's a possibility. My parents when they were full timers had a hitch put on the back of their 5th wheel. I looked at the work and I believe that the installer did just that., unless it came boxed from the factory...I'm not sure. He installed the receiver hitch cross member through it. Hard to explain without pictures but I think you may have got the idea.

If you go through AZ on your travels, check out Picacho Peak State Park between Phoenix and Tucson. There are plenty of camp pads for RVrs. It's an interesting place to visit. Hike to the top is a great workout. The only Civil War battle fought in AZ was close to Picacho Peak. There is a CW reenactment each March. You can find the history online. I always wanted to wander around the battlefield. Wouldn't that be something to produce some CW artifacts to show the eastern guys...ha !

http://azstateparks.com/Parks/PIPE/index.html

Good luck to you and please post some pictures of your descision.

regards,

Jim

OP
OP
old_goldchaser

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Photos of my camper. Will have to get a couple of the frame yet. These I already had on my computer for the insurance company.

Attachments

• DSCF2915.JPG
    DSCF2915.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 1,163
  • DSCF2925.JPG
    DSCF2925.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 2,112
  • DSCF2939.JPG
    DSCF2939.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 773
  • DSCF2924.JPG
    DSCF2924.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,214

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
From the pictures I can see your concern, pretty tight in the front and you'd have to be concerned with tounge weight if you mounted it up there. I think a local trailer shop can give you advice on mounting a rear carrier. Don't want to put too much weight back there due to the wiggle wagon affect. Also, I noticed on one of the above posts a link to some mods for generators/installation. One of them had a "silencer" installed on the generator...neat idea.

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask around at your friendly RV shop for someone who does reliable welding modifications for them ....
Have seen two units where generator was mounted to tongue frame in cage with expanded metal front cover to prevent rock damage and theft. (flip open access door for starting and oil change) -- one with two tanks on top of generator and one with one tank on extention of platform beside generator. Steel angle iron frame welded into box/ side platform, expanded metal welded into the angle to form box. Be sure to have ring base to set propane tank into and some type of top clamp down device (just like originally installed on the trailer).
Allow a place to put one or two 2-1/2 gal. gas cans and 2-3 quarts of oil storage (outside of the trailer).

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
You probably fixed the problem if you did give pix of the fix.I would have the rear bumper modified to carry the tanks then have the tongue accept a rack to hold the generator. When you have the rear bumper modified have it so you can carry a light moped or a bike to give you additional mobility in the event you need it.
I have a older camper that has a solid frame that we could easily modify to hold a decent 250 motorcycle. We got this unit for $2K sure it ain't as purdy as them new ones but it is 40 years old and as long as we keep it out the path of tornado or hurricane or other trauma we think it just might last another 40.

TN_MD

Jan 6, 2011
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Radio Shack 2v6 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD , And a Homebuilt M.D.
Most if not all states require the propane tanks to be on the front of the trailer.
have your rear bumper removed and have a welding shop fabricate a rack to replace the rear bumper the full width of the trailer usually 8' or 8'6" make the rack itself at least 18" to 24" wide or however wide your generator is.
it should leave plenty of room for you Moped bycycles etc or even large cooler. Mine resembles this one ->
IMGP1062.jpg

there is this option also.
http://www.letsgoaero.com/ProductDetail.asp?Pid=63

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread