Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wanting to get a nugget machine I like the GB2 but been told the GMT is better but then told the Lobo Super Traq is better then told oh no get an MXT but then told no wait the NEW GB will be out in a couple weeks.we all know that detectors are like women everyones tastes are different .I was allways told the higher freq the machine the better for gold, it seems the GB2 will find the small stuff but the GMT will find the deeper big stuff........ok I give I need some helpan advice here folks,gve me some heads up straight feedback an thoughts here.

Thanks Tank

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
tank stop and think -- what is the type of gold that normally found in az --nugget type or small fine flour type -- taking a bit of time to actually understand the actually type of gold commonly found in your area that you plan to hunt will help you in your search for the "best" machine for the area you hunt -- is the gold more of the tiny flakes type or bigger nugget type ? -- remember that a machine that will find tiny flakes will find big nuggets too but generally are not as deep --the deeper running type machine will find bigger nuggets at depth but tend to over look fine the tiny stuff -- remember this however*** folks tend to find more fine small gold as a rule than huge "deep" nuggets normally

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Tank,

Truthfully, they are all good units and in the rights hands will find gold. The same engineer, Dave Johnson, had a hand in every machine you mentioned. That being the case, you will find people who are proponents of one machine or the other as being the "best".

Like ivan said there is a bit of trade-off going on. The real differences are rather small, however. Success is determined far more by other factors than whether you have a GMT or a Lobo.

You have to learn your detector well and use good detecting practices. Coil control is a biggie. Some people take right to detectors, but many might need 50 - 100 hours of use to get the feel for the unit. Most important of all is doing your research and putting yourself in locations where you can get your coil over detectable gold.

Do not forget ergonomics. Do you need a machine you can hip or chest mount? How is your hearing? Maybe one detector will sound better to you than another. What I'm getting around to here is that it sure helps if you can get your hands on them and see how they feel and sound.

On some forums ask that question and you'll get told you need a Minelab SD/GP series unit. I'd sure not argue with that, but you can find gold with less expensive machines. You just have to work smarter is all.

Steve Herschbach

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Tank; Steve has pretty much said it all. I do think tho that if you plan to use the detector for other types of hunting (coins, relics) you may want to consider a more versatile detector such as the Tesoro Lobo ST, MXT or the new GB (which isn't available yet). IMO a VLF detector is better than a PI for a first gold detector.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only used a GMT. It works good on tiny pickers shallow or near the surface, and also the bigger nuggets down deep, and everything else in between. It also has great ground balancing capabilities (manual and automatic) quick to re balance as mineralization changes, has great iron rejection, and is easy to ID hot rocks just by sound or using the trigger depending on whether they are positive or negative. It is a little on the heavy side but you get used to it.

I have heard by many that the MXT does everything the GMT does, plus has the added benefit of being an excellent coin machine because of the depth and ID display.

Just my 2 cents.

GG~

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_sunny: As always , Steve nailed it-the machine is only as good as the man behind it multiplied by how hard he applies himself to the task of learning how to properly use it under extreme conditions-tons a au 2 u 2 -John The worst of today are still great compared to the good units of 10-15 years ago :hello2:

OP
OP
Tank69

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks allot guys you made allot of sense , we all know how hard it is making that choice when handing out big money for a machine , allways wanting to make sure you have done all your research ahead of time an covered all the bases. I know I got the best resources around as far as detecting goes , so I will keep looking an learning an when the day comes I'll let you know what I wind up with , thanks again guys HH.

HH Tank :icon_thumleft:

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 2cents is .........the Christmas season is comming soon, watch for the promotional ads especially for Whites electronics, I have had nothing but productive time spent with the GMT for gold and meteorites, I also use this machine in coin hunts and have been very successful at all.
During the holiday season the manufacturers generally run some type of promo where you will not only get the detector but also x-tras included some offer coupon /cash incentives that will enable you to get additional coils etc. with your purchase.
Keep your eyes and ears open and do your research on the various models available remember the "shopping " is as much fun and as important reguarding what you purchase.
AND THEN COMES THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COIN............If you stay interested in the detecting hobby you will most certaintly start to own numerous detectors and gain experience with them all.
MOST IMPORTANT, ENJOY what you are doing and have fun, apply a serious interest and you will reap rewards.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Tank; I have to say The GMT is a great choice for the area we live. I've seen Frank use his GMT :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I am trying to find out about the minelab Euruka Gold it sounds like a good gold detector so far no one seems to know

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
You might try Kellyco. THey have buy a metal detector and get one from their bogo list free or lesser cost.
Just like getting two for the price of one. Their prices are less than manufactures and they also give free stuff like pouches and digging tools. Check them out at.
http://www.kellycodetectors.com

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned A EUREKA I enjoyed useing it on the beaches in florida but when I moved to the southwest I did not like its performance in the mineralized soils searching for gold.

RonnieAZ

Nov 15, 2009
Prescott AZ
Detector(s) used
E-trac GP extreme sovereign elite gold bug 2
I'll give the same advice here I did in a simular post look at who are the top producers of gold nuggets in your area see what detectors they use they have probably been hunting nuggets for many years and done all the work for you these guys are serious and use the best or atleast what they honestly believe is the best its competitive and at 1000 dollars + an ounce they have the best machine they can put in thier hands look at any sport or profession the top guys use the top gear, I have my opinion on whats best here in AZ but my opinion isnt important. RonnieAZ

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Steve Herschbach said:
Hi Tank,

Truthfully, they are all good units and in the rights hands will find gold. The same engineer, Dave Johnson, had a hand in every machine you mentioned. That being the case, you will find people who are proponents of one machine or the other as being the "best".

Like ivan said there is a bit of trade-off going on. The real differences are rather small, however. Success is determined far more by other factors than whether you have a GMT or a Lobo.

You have to learn your detector well and use good detecting practices. Coil control is a biggie. Some people take right to detectors, but many might need 50 - 100 hours of use to get the feel for the unit. Most important of all is doing your research and putting yourself in locations where you can get your coil over detectable gold.

Do not forget ergonomics. Do you need a machine you can hip or chest mount? How is your hearing? Maybe one detector will sound better to you than another. What I'm getting around to here is that it sure helps if you can get your hands on them and see how they feel and sound.

On some forums ask that question and you'll get told you need a Minelab SD/GP series unit. I'd sure not argue with that, but you can find gold with less expensive machines. You just have to work smarter is all.

Steve Herschbach

Good advice, Steve. I am happy with my MXT and found 4 nuggets the first week I took it out in northern NV. However, I have hunted with folks that swear by Minelab PIs. The main thing is to hunt where there is gold under your coil. Do not hunt where there is no gold. Thus the real question is: Should I get a PI machine or a VLF machine? The PI will hit nuggets deeper but you will have to digs nails and any other pieces of iron and dig them up 2 feet down. They will not tell you if it is a small piece of iron or a gold nugget. They really do not discriminate. I have seen PIs miss small nuggets close to the surface. However, I have seen PIs hit big nuggets very deep that VLFs will miss. The cost of a good PI can run from $1,400 to $5,000. A great VLF can be had for $600 to about $1,000.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread