Need Advice on a(nother) detector purchase

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Okay everyone........I need some advice here. I'm thinking about getting a new detector and I'm not sure what to get. It will be primarily used for coinshooting, but may do some relic hunting too. I've narrowed my choices down to Ace 250, Pioneer 505, BH Landranger, Fisher F2, or Whites 5ID. I've read a lot of good things about each one, but then I've read bad things too. I am not a newbie at detecting, I have a Tesoro silver umax, a Vaquero, a Titan 3000, and a Whites xlt, I'm just looking for a lightweight coinshooter that gets good depth. I'm hesitant about the detectors with fixed ground balance, as the red clay here in East Tn can be rough in places. Of the detectors that I listed as possible choices, has anyone used them in East Tn..specifically in Monroe County? Geez...decisions, decisions... ??? ??? ???

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I use a Fisher F70, $649 MAP (minimum advertiseable price). A dealer might quote a lower price over phone or in e-mail, or you could find it used for maybe $400-$450 like I did. A smaller coil is available if you hunt high trash locations.

Also, the Fisher F5 ($499 MAP), gets about 20% less depth, but still above average & you can ground balance both of these. You could probably get a F5 used for around $350 (I may be selling mine for less because it's scuffed on display).

As another posted the Minelab X-Terra 70 is a lightweight detector that goes deep on coins, about $699 new, but $400-$475 used.

Also the new White's Prism 6T on sale for $100 off ($599.95). It has auto ground tracking and backlight. A few used ones so far $429-$499. HH, George (MN)

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure whatever detector you get has a manual ground balance option, you'll need it for your area.
JW

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you already have some pretty good machines for just coin shooting. If you want max depth you are going to have to move up quite a bit higher on the price scale. Monty

OP
OP
EddieR

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've been reading the journals of my past hunts, and I think I've decided to hold off on getting another detector for now. The ones I've got go deep...a while back I dug a cast iron toy train (10" long) almost 2 feet deep using the Titan 3000, and I've dug plenty of coins in the 8-10" range, so I'm just gonna wait. I guess I had a moment of temporary insanity... :tongue3: :tard:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the day you found your first "treasrue" with a metal detector you have been insane! We all are!
M :tard: nty

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
eddie one thing i can say if you tried a classic 5 or idx, very simular you would brobally hate your titan, not saying they are great but the target responce is much faster, and a lot less ghost signals. the ones you hear then swing over again and its gone, the whites are very repeatable. this was a big issue i had with the discovery 3300's that i had, but the 3300 give you alot of info for the price you payed and some times id'd things better than my whites QXT did at the time, but the classics will smoke the titan in a heavly trashed area iron nail, pull tabs]. sound like the titan is working for you and use it till you cant handle the addiction to try something else ;D

OP
OP
EddieR

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Ahhh.........temporary insanity.....its a way of life! :D Yeah, I know a lot of people think I'm crazy for getting out at 5:00 am to hunt before I go to work LOL. Seriously though,Thompy, I may check out the IDX the next time the " I need another detector" thoughts swing my way. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions