Need advice on buying a metal detector

ozunasawai4

Mar 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to start getting into metal detecting. Seeing all your awesome finds has inspired me! I have been watching a ton of videos and reading a lot of reviews and it seems like a good consensus is the Fisher Labs F2 or Garrett Ace 250? I live in SW FL and plan on using it mainly in yards and at the beaches. My budget is $300.00 Are these good beginner detectors that I can keep without upgrading for a while? Any that you would suggest in that price range?

all the reviews and comparison charts I have seen have been 3-4 years old. Any new competitors? Thanks!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard ozunasawai4! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - When you have time - browse Brands...

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either one is a good starting detector. But if you are thinking about using it on the beach, neither one will be able to be used in wet sand and that is probably where you want to hunt. In that case better to wait and save up a few hundred dollars more for a Minelab Equinox 600 which will work great in wet or dry sand.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two newer models would be better for you in my opinion. The Minelab Vanquish and the Nokta Makro Simplex are both capable of handling wet salt water beach sand. So is the Minelab Equinox 600 for a few more dollars. The basic Simplex and the Vanquish 440 cost less brand new than $300 and would leave you some money leftover for a quality handheld pinpointer and beach scoop. The Fisher F2/F22 and the Garrett Ace series are good detectors but definitely are not appropriate for frequent beach use.

Forget about any of the online sites that begin with Best Metal Detectors............. They are out of date, inaccurate and are not written by detector users for the most part. This forum and other metal detecting forums are much better for up to date results.

Jeff

Last edited:

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I was you I'd wait till I could buy a detector that has target ID numbers - (not lights and beeps) - and that also comes with other advanced features - this is a huge plus.
Something like a Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox, etc.

I'd also consider buying a clean - used detector from someone you can trust - look in this forums For Sale section.
Buying a used machine can save you a lot of money - and is often offered as a package deal with Headphones, Pinpointers, Diggers, etc.

And here's another major thing to consider - every detector comes with a learning curve - it takes a time in the field to learn what the machine is "telling you" to dig or not.
If you start out with a entry level - low dollar machine you will have to go through another new learning curve if you decide to upgrade.

Also, do your homework - read others forum posts, ask questions, etc.
I read, asked questions and listened to others in this hobby for a few months before I bought my first good detector - looking back I'm really glad I did !

Good Luck & Good Hunting !

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If 300.00 bucks is your budget, get a notka makro simplex detector nothing better for that price 250..0 without wireless headphones, if you can afford more and want to learn then, minelab or infibio, but you stated money wise , very simple the answer simplex, thankyou

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, what jmc, E-Trac, and 49er said.

If you are planning on going to a Nox (Equinox) at some later point in time, I would spend the extra $99.00 and buy the Vanquish 540 but, it has a fairly steep learning curve - it will help prepare you for the Nox series detectors though. Also, the Vanquish 540 only has a waterproof coil and it's only good to 1 meter. The Simplex, on the other hand, is completely waterproof to 3 meters and is in your price range. It has a bit of a learning curve as well but, I find it works great in more mineralized soils - it has a manual Ground Balance feature that allows you to set up your detector in various soil conditions.

Hope this helps.
-DH-

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ozunasawai4

Mar 17, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to start getting into metal detecting. Seeing all your awesome finds has inspired me! I have been watching a ton of videos and reading a lot of reviews and it seems like a good consensus is the Fisher Labs F2 or Garrett Ace 250? I live in SW FL and plan on using it mainly in yards and at the beaches. My budget is $300.00 Are these good beginner detectors that I can keep without upgrading for a while? Any that you would suggest in that price range?

all the reviews and comparison charts I have seen have been 3-4 years old. Any new competitors? Thanks!

Either one is a good starting detector. But if you are thinking about using it on the beach, neither one will be able to be used in wet sand and that is probably where you want to hunt. In that case better to wait and save up a few hundred dollars more for a Minelab Equinox 600 which will work great in wet or dry sand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread