Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Current-Minelab E-Trac, Sunray Pro phones, TW digger
Past-Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, so I've been working with a Garrett Ace 300, I want to say, for the past 13 years(pretty sure I got it for my 10th birthday). My 1st and only metal detector, I was off and on with it throughout the years never finding much. A big part of it was getting into another nerdy hobby of mine(fossil hunting) which produced a lot more consistent finds for me. Secondly I was younger and didn't put in enough research or time to to make it to the right areas and find anything significant so that was discouraging. Lastly it just seemed like there were very few places to hunt in Maryland that were legal(now I'm sure that If I could go back there I could find plenty of good areas). Now I'm living in Nebraska and with less to do around here I've brought back out the old Ace. I've found a decent amount of clad with it, one silver dime(Rosie), one sterling ring,and a few wheat pennies over the last few months but I'm ready to upgrade. I can only get it to go down no more than 3 maybe four inches at the max on a coin and that's a rarity. Knowing what I know now, I'm taking this hobby much more seriously and I really want to commit and start finding the older, deeper stuff(just one pre 1900s coin would make my year, hell I'd be happy with just a single merc dime right now). I know everyone has there opinion on whats the best detector out there and there may not be such a thing but I think with all the reviews, videos and such, the Minelab Etrac has really won me over. With tax season approaching, I'm in the market for one and what I'd like to know from you is where to go to get the best deal with the most options. I've seen ads for places like BigBoys Hobbies, kellyco,etc. and I hear that wherever you go you should try to work out a deal over the phone for the best price. If anyone knows of any local dealers(not chain sporting goods stores like Cabells's) that I could go to talk with face to face would be awesome too. I'm just worried of getting taken advantage of over the phone or incurring some extra hidden fee. Lastly if you know of any good package deals that come with the detector that exclude the crap and provide you with only the best. I know along with the detector I'd like to get a Garrett pro-pointer,Gray Ghost headphones(I hear the standard Koss headphones they provide are junk) a lesche digger(or something sturdy and dependable like it),the Andy Sabisch how to book, I here the standard 11 inch coil is good but since I know I'll be predominately hitting old parks I'd like to get a smaller coil(maybe Sun Ray X5) too, and lastly a rain/dust cover for the Etrac. If there's anything else you think would be essential or handy, I'd love to know along with anything I should swap for something better(or that works better with the Etrac). Any advice I get will be much appreciated. HH if you still can, I know I'm snowed in for a while:tongue3:

Upvote 0

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't really care for my E-Trac. Oh it's a fine machine and all but hardly lived up to the hype surrounding it in my never humble opinion.

I didn't like the unbalanced weight, the horribly long fluty tones or the snails pace you have to swing the thing. Plenty of other detectors out there that go just as deep if not deeper, WAY faster, iron false less and don't feel like they weigh a ton.
On more positive notes, I found the Koss headphones to be quite nice but do not have volume control & the Garrett Pro Pointer is really nice.

Good luck with whatever you choose and HH

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The E-trac can do amazing things if you are willing to let it. I've pulled dimes and indian head pennys at 12 inches on multiple occasions. Take the time to understand all the settings and how they work togeather in different conditons.
I like the Treasure Wise digger. Strong, sturdy and a life time warranty.
The Koss head phones had good sound but they kept falling off my head. Now I use Calrad head phones. They are the only ones that fitt my head. Sounds not as good but they work and are cheap.
Stock coil is great in all but the trashiest conditons.
From your post it looks like your heading in the right direction. So good luck.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my E-trac used on E-bay for about half what they cost new....just a thought. It was so clean, you couldn't tell it had been used! I've bought other detectors and related stuff from Kellyco and have been very pleased with their service. I like the E-trac more each time I use it. The first day is a little intimidating if you're not used to the Minelab system but if you read the factory book and Andy Sabisch's book several times, it will start to make sense. I also bought a Coiltec 15" WOT coil for the beach and large fields. That thing works great and you sure can cover some ground with it. I also like the Koss headphones. I find them comfortable with good sound quality.

OP
OP
B

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice. If I do decide to buy the E-Trac, hopefully It works better for me. Regardless if I shell out that kind of money I'm going to stick with it and hopefully it pays off down the road.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Contat Bart at bigboys, i bought my AT Pro from him and he is a straight shooter and knows one heck of a lot more than any dude at cabelas. He an give you the pros and cons on any detector and as the guy said in the one post. It's all about learning what your detector is telling you. Most guys on here are really good straight shooters but then again on occasion you get a smart axx that just replies for his own amusement

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, contact Bart at Big Boy Hobbies or Rich at Backwoods Detectors. Either of these guys will steer you straight.

OP
OP
B

Bullhead23

Sep 30, 2012
Omaha, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, contact Bart at Big Boy Hobbies or Rich at Backwoods Detectors. Either of these guys will steer you straight.

Thanks a bunch, will have to do come tax time :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread