need advice on detector...eagle spectrum

toddsant

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2009
hey everybody,
I have had the "dirt fishin" bug for a little over one year.I am proficient with my B.H. tracker iv and my pretty brand new pioneer 505.
But I really have always wanted to own a whites detector,I have a peanut butter budget with t-bone steak taste(lol).
So,the "boss" says that i can buy a used detector-just don't break the bank!And I have located 2 seperate "eagle spectrum" detectors around 300 bucks each.
Is the spectrum as good as I have heard? and "is the learning curve,worth spending my money on a machine that is 1990's tech?
I know that in all metal mode the tracker iv is solid on coins to just at 6",with discrimination 4"-5" inches at best.The 505 is about the same only it has depth reading and "no motion pinpiont",that being said I really need a deeper seeking better desriminating detector that can seperate iron and foil from coins/jewelery.
Any input would be greatly appriecated.By the way i own a 1 acre parcel within spitting distance of a old county fairground and a civil war skirmish/camp.My finds in one year 2 dropped minnies,1 partial harmonica reed,and a pewter hat pin.I know the good stuffs here just need the right detector to get to it.
Thanks in advance- todd

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you would be happy with the eagle, learning curve is easy, the pinpointing is superb.

Eddie Lomax

May 10, 2008
Central South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Machines- Metal Detecting, Privy Digging, Arrowheads, Prospecting, Catfishing, Harley Riding
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will be happy with an Eagle Spectrum. It's only one of the best machines ever built.

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own an Eagle Spectrum, among others, and have to recommed you pass. For 50 to 100 dollars more, you can get a Spectrum XLT. A much better machine for the price.
Here's what a good value a used Spectrum XLT is: it is the same machine as the E-series XLT at less than half the price. :icon_thumleft:

Mike_of_Tenn

Nov 19, 2008
White Bluff, TN
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-Terra 70
A great buy at 300! But like the above poster said for 50-100 ya could probably get a XLT. But, there is not alot of diference in the two...Try to talk them down and snag one! Even if they don't come down it's still a great buy.

Mike

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It' a 5900 with a new dress. :thumbsup:

C

coloradocav

toddsant said:
hey everybody,
I have had the "dirt fishin" bug for a little over one year.I am proficient with my B.H. tracker iv and my pretty brand new pioneer 505.
But I really have always wanted to own a whites detector,I have a peanut butter budget with t-bone steak taste(lol).
So,the "boss" says that i can buy a used detector-just don't break the bank!And I have located 2 seperate "eagle spectrum" detectors around 300 bucks each.
Is the spectrum as good as I have heard? and "is the learning curve,worth spending my money on a machine that is 1990's tech?
I know that in all metal mode the tracker iv is solid on coins to just at 6",with discrimination 4"-5" inches at best.The 505 is about the same only it has depth reading and "no motion pinpiont",that being said I really need a deeper seeking better desriminating detector that can seperate iron and foil from coins/jewelery.
Any input would be greatly appriecated.By the way i own a 1 acre parcel within spitting distance of a old county fairground and a civil war skirmish/camp.My finds in one year 2 dropped minnies,1 partial harmonica reed,and a pewter hat pin.I know the good stuffs here just need the right detector to get to it.
Thanks in advance- todd
Good God, I have a relic empire, thanks to the Eagle spectrum. I had it for many years, it was my first brand new machine, I wish I would have kept it. The only bad thing about it was the weight. you can program some fantastic custom programs for that machine. I have had 3 new machines since selling my eagle spectrum, and they do not compare. That machine made me thousands of dollars, I should have hung it on the wall!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread