Other

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yes I was named after a jewish lawyer that help my injuried father win a injury law suit (my father had been injuried onboard a ship while my mother was pregnant with me) * it was a difficult case so my family thanked the lawyer by naming me after his first name -- Ivan

Ivan translates as "john"

salis used to be Salise"-- before it was angloed during the spanish american war era - 1899 *

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
yes I was named after a jewish lawyer that help my injuried father win a injury law suit (my father had been injuried onboard a ship while my mother was pregnant with me) * it was a difficult case so my family thanked the lawyer by naming me after his first name -- Ivan

Ivan translates as "john"

salis used to be Salise"-- before it was angloed during the spanish american war era - 1899 *

Nice story Ivan :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
So my best friend i grew up with is a cop in Citris County..I figure he knows everyone in town and he could get me on some old farms..
Im just not aware of what to look for as far as poisonous reptiles etc..My dog is my hunting partner.
Although you dont have the old colonial sites with walls and cellar holes in Florida do you?
I must say i enjoy the deep woods colonial sites here in New England.

Blaze...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
st augustine in florida is known as "america's oldest city" -- the spanish settled along the coastal edge of florida quite early on in a effort to protect the spanish treasure fleets from raiders and to provide aid to shipwrecked treasure fleets -- in 1565 the spanish and french settlers fought over control of florida (the french were wiped out and st augustine was set up ) -- not too much in the way of cellerholes as in the new england area ( no hard freeezes here to speak of so the cold weather storage type winter food storage root cellers were not made / used too much)

now there are several things to look out for if one has a dog of the jack russel size

-- snakes * deadly ones -- we got BIG eastern diamond back rattlers 6 to 8 foot , canebreak (aka) pigmy rattlers only a couple feet long but their venom is very strong so just as deadly as a reg rattlers is -- we got water moccasin's --which are highly territorial and rather aggressive -- we also have coral snakes whcich are very deadly thankfully their mouth is small and its hard for them to get a good bite unless your really stupid with them ;

then theres the gators -- bobcats and coyotes and larger raptor type birds of prey ( owls and hawks)who will just eat em

there are also dangerous spiders -- black widow and brown recluse --

as well as several posionious insects and bugs and frogs which a dog could try to eat that could harm him

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats funny i lived in St Augustine in 2003..
I have been all over that island fishing and site seeing..
And your talking about Castillo de San Marcos .
I have hung out there many times..They were fixing the towers when i lived there..
St Augustine was great but the girl i was living with was nuts and i left her and moved into this house in R.I.

Blaze...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets see, we have 6 poisonous snakes, diamondback rattlesnake, the canebrake rattlesnake, pygmy rattlesnake, cottonmouth water moccasin, copperhead and coral snake, along with that are our 5 species of venomous spiders, the southern black widow, northern black widow, red widow, brown widow and brown recluse, don't want to forget Lyme disease from the deer ticks, although that is rare, mosquito's that carry dengue fever and encephalitis and of course the gators and sharks....

Be sure to try detecting along the shore of Lake Jessup..... ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
we got colonial stuff in florida --its just that its more spanish than english (except from 1763 to 1783 time frame peroid when the brits ruled florida *) -- florida was the 14th british colony * but since it stayed british loyal --it did not become part of America at the wars end --the british having lost the other 13 colony's had little use for florida -- so the british gave florida back to spain and withdrew ---spain later handed it over to the USA in 1821

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:

Do i have to wrestle a gator to prove my manhood...No problem.... :whip2:

Blaze...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyblaze said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

Do i have to wrestle a gator to prove my manhood...No problem.... :whip2:

Blaze...
Maybe, you can wrestle a gator and lose your manhood. flyer.gif

Attachments

• flyer.gif
    flyer.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 183
OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Heyyyyyy Magnum...Good to hear from you again..You always have something nice to add... :tongue3:
You look just like Magnum PI with those glasses on...WOW :o
Im impressed :notworthy:

Blaze.....

Attachments

• magnum.jpg
    magnum.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 187

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
johnnyblaze said:
So my best friend i grew up with is a cop in Citris County..I figure he knows everyone in town and he could get me on some old farms..
Im just not aware of what to look for as far as poisonous reptiles etc..My dog is my hunting partner.
Although you dont have the old colonial sites with walls and cellar holes in Florida do you?
I must say i enjoy the deep woods colonial sites here in New England.

Blaze...

Citrus County has some older development and some protected historic areas but its European settlement doesn't go back that far. Great for Indian Artifact hunting, which I'm pretty sure is illegal now too, on State Lands anyway.

St. Augustine is one big damn protected historic area.

[mod]Unnecessary Comments Removed[/mod]

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
eihh, i think i could live without northerners. I live in SW Florida so its not very old down here but the more north you go up, the older it gets. i wish i lived somewhere like Arcadia or Seabring where its old. boy, i cant wait till Easter comes(you Floridians all know why :wink:)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
colorado14ers said:
eihh, i think i could live without northerners. I live in SW Florida so its not very old down here but the more north you go up, the older it gets. i wish i lived somewhere like Arcadia or Seabring where its old. boy, i cant wait till Easter comes(you Floridians all know why :wink:)
We say bye-bye to all the "snowbirds". I used to travel to go detecting in that part of the state before gas cost an arm and a leg, now I just go when I can stay the weekend. I have family in Sebring and friends in Lake Placid.

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
diggummup said:
colorado14ers said:
We say bye-bye to all the "snowbirds". I used to travel to go detecting in that part of the state before gas cost an arm and a leg, now I just go when I can stay the weekend. I have family in Sebring and friends in Lake Placid.

The only thing you guys are gonna say bye-bye to is all the good finds when i get there and hammer
that state with my T2 Special Edition.. :headbang:

colorado14ers

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2010
Naples, Fl
Detector(s) used
whites M6, Surfmaster PI
johnnyblaze said:
diggummup said:
colorado14ers said:

The only thing you guys are gonna say bye-bye to is all the good finds when i get there and hammer
lol, as long as you dont go to naples :laughing9: :laughing9: :tongue3:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyblaze said:
All this from the guy that wanted to know whether he should take his little snack sized doggy detecting with him. Snap out of it man! Lay off the wacky weed, it's starting to affect your sense of reality! :headbang:

PS- Staying with the topic, don't forget about all the pythons that live in the wild down here too. They get pretty big.

Attachments

• pytmol3.jpg
    pytmol3.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 173

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyblaze said:

Good luck using your T2 in the water here where the best finds are found. The best hunting areas here are our beaches, the majority of the good finds are in the water and you can't hunt in the water with a T2.

All kidding aside, if you do hunt the beaches here, be sure to cover your T2 control box with a plastic bag if there is any breeze at all ( it is almost always breezy on the coasts), the salt spray in the air can damage your electronics. Also though the T2 coil is listed as waterproof, some have reported they do leak. I highly recommend you test it in fresh water first to be sure it will not leak, fresh water will not damage it if it leaks once, but a salt water leak can and will damage your coil as it will rust the windings.....

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Blaze,

I have been coming to Florida all my life and have lived here twice including the present time. It is a fascinating place with endless amounts of history. It has more diversity and variety than any other place I have been too. As to your comments about different ethnic and demographic backgrounds here, it simply shows that the great state of Florida allures all walks of life with its alluring charisma.
I came from Kentucky and can tell you we suprisingly had our fair share of other nationalities. One town over from where I'm from became known as "Little Mexico" by the locals. A lot of other ethnic groups and populations have also made it their home, but you don't see Kentucky being unfairly characterized.
Florida seems to be viewed under a microscope for many reasons, and for that I think it shows how impressive, important, and sought after it has always been. What I can't understand is why so many "yankees" yearn for her but yet always bit#@ and moan behind her back or after they leave. This is once they have taken up her precious air, water, space. This is after they have littered, abused, and taken for granted a sweet slice of the South. Rhode Island reminds me of what Florida would sh#@ out as a turd after consuming a big ole' helping of rude northerners. :laughing7: :icon_sunny: :icon_pirat: ;D
Anyway, why would you want to keep coming back to a place that is so awful?? Hmmmm, I would like to ask a few million other haters that very same question. :thumbsup: One thing we all share is treasure hunting/metal detecting :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions