Need advice on my first painting! Chen Mau for $8.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally found my first painting worth anything at a thrift store for $8. It is a beautiful Chen Mau oil painting. I find it so interesting that he incorporates horse hair into the painting. Of course not ALL is great. The painting has started to crack somewhat, there is a stain of some kind on it, looks like it would come off easily if someone knew what to do though. So now I am stumped, I love it for myself, but would like to get it fixed so it doesn't get ruined further. Chens paintings sell for quite a bit but those are big painting whereas mine is smaller. So what would you guys do? I am planning on bringing it to a well known auction house who deals in fine arts and maybe they could point me in the right direction. Meanwhile however, should I put it in a bag to keep it from getting dusty? Forgot to mention the price tag WAS ON THE PAINTING. I had to carefully peel it off and thankfully it came off cleanly, but then my fingerprints are probably on it somewhat. Argh, I really need it professionally cleaned or something. It amazes me how clueless thrifts are on paintings, I mean really come on, putting a sticker price tag on the actual painting????
20180210_181915_resized.jpg 20180210_181929_resized.jpg 20180210_181922_resized.jpg 20180210_182008_resized.jpg 20180210_182018_resized.jpg

Kentuckiana Jones

May 19, 2017
KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got off easy. Last painting I bought at GW had 5 price stickers on the canvas. (They put 5 stickers on nearly every item here). Luckily, even their super sticky tags don't stick well to oil paint.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently learned (on here) not to sell pieces on ebay. I auctioned off a small original water color. Similar prints (not originals) by the same artist are listed in galleries for $300. So I started the auction at $50 and it sold for $50. Disappointing. If you look at the Chen Mao’s on ebay you will see the same thing. Everyone here recommended selling the pieces in person in the future. I’m doing a big fleamarket soon where I’m going to bring all my Art.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised they used a tag and didn't just write the price with a sharpie marker on the canvas. :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ehh yeah no big deal, looks like a student Chen Mao painting so no real value, but still cool!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread