Need Advice on Straight Shaft for Excal!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I am about to purchase a carbon fiber straight shaft from Rods by Plugger, for my Excalibur and I wanted to know what your experience/thoughts are on what lengths I should be looking at? He offers 3 lengths, a 39", 42" and 45". Pros and cons? I'm confused about what is the appropriate length for balance with a 10" coil!
Thank you for your advice!

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the 3 piece and love it. It's 42" OAL assembled. You can use a Whites fiber lower rod ($13.95) with this setup. It also breaks down easy if you plan on traveling with your detector. You can rear mount the pod or use it chest/hip mounted. Rear mounted has the best balance, but if you hunt using reverse disc, you have to reach over to turn disc knob to check targets. I would buy pluggers knob guard too if you plan on shaft mounting. I have only chest mounted mine a couple times and it puts the disc knob right at the perfect location to turn disc knob with left hand. Good luck and show us the gold!

Attachments

• image-300769416.jpg
    image-300769416.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice machine, looks super light. I like it!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on how tall you are.

Rusty, it depends upon how high your waist is above the ground. I am long legged (high pockets) 6’ 2” and use the tall man, Anderson carbon fiber straight shaft.
I love it as I can be chest to chin deep and still have the detector housing out of the water. I mount the control box with the Disc/Pin Point switch at the bottom so that I can drop to my knees when necessary without jerking the headphones off.
I would rather have the shaft too long than too short as you can adjust the shaft short by pushing the lower rod in.
The longer the shaft, the wider the arc you can sweep while detecting. Even if the shaft was too long to reach the disc/pinpoint switch, all you have to do is leave the search coil on the ground and step slight back to switch modes.

The disadvantage of the taller shafts as they can be a little tippy. Also, they are more difficult to transport unless the lower rod is telescoped in.

The disadvantage of the knob guard is that it has be changed if you change the hand you sweep the coil with so you can get at the knobs.

I am about to purchase a carbon fiber straight shaft from Rods by Plugger, for my Excalibur and I wanted to know what your experience/thoughts are on what lengths I should be looking at? He offers 3 lengths, a 39", 42" and 45". Pros and cons? I'm confused about what is the appropriate length for balance with a 10" coil!
Thank you for your advice!

Last edited:
OP
OP
RustyGold

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought the 3 piece and love it. It's 42" OAL assembled. You can use a Whites fiber lower rod ($13.95) with this setup. It also breaks down easy if you plan on traveling with your detector. You can rear mount the pod or use it chest/hip mounted. Rear mounted has the best balance, but if you hunt using reverse disc, you have to reach over to turn disc knob to check targets. I would buy pluggers knob guard too if you plan on shaft mounting. I have only chest mounted mine a couple times and it puts the disc knob right at the perfect location to turn disc knob with left hand. Good luck and show us the gold!
Thank you Fletch! Now, I will look into the three pc. and thank you for the great picture!

OP
OP
RustyGold

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Rusty, it depends upon how high your waist is above the ground. I am long legged (high pockets) 6’ 2” and use the tall man, Anderson carbon fiber straight shaft.
I love it as I can be chest to chin deep and still have the detector housing out of the water. I mount the control box with the Disc/Pin Point switch at the bottom so that I can drop to my knees when necessary without jerking the headphones off.
I would rather have the shaft too long than too short as you can adjust the shaft short by pushing the lower rod in.
The longer the shaft, the wider the arc you can sweep while detecting. Even if the shaft was too long to reach the disc/pinpoint switch, all you have to do is leave the search coil on the ground and step slight back to switch modes.

The disadvantage of the taller shafts as they can be a little tippy. Also, they are more difficult to transport unless the lower rod is telescoped in.

The disadvantage of the knob guard is that it has be changed if you change the hand you sweep the coil with so you can get at the knobs.

Sir Gala Clad, Thank you, that's perfect information! I believe I would rather have it on the long side for the same reasons. Although I'm not as tall being under 6'
I do believe I will go with the 42" as I assume I could take off a couple of inches of the shaft later, if it were necessary.
Good point about the knob Guard! I hadn't thought of that! Chest mounted it wouldn't be a problem I should think.
I do have a pickup for transportation but Fletch brings up a good point about the 3pc. for travel and that it is also 42" OAL.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd suggest you get a piece of wood dowell or two yardsticks and compare lengths. Some people have an issue with too long a shaft hitting them in the shoulder blades on the wide swing, but most get used to it. Plugger Rods have some great cam locks on them, and the three piece is great for travel.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
RustyGold

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd suggest you get a piece of wood dowell or two yardsticks and compare lengths. Some people have an issue with too long a shaft hitting them in the shoulder blades on the wide swing, but most get used to it. Plugger Rods have some great cam locks on them, and the three piece is great for travel.

Wayne
www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Thanks Wayne! That's good idea! Are the plugger shafts the same size on the back end where the pods connect? The three pc. does look interesting!

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I will second the three piece set up. I love it because I usually keep my Excal in a backpack for easy travel to and from the beach. Do they make a carbon fiber three piece? If so, I will upgrade to that down the line.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will second the three piece set up. I love it because I usually keep my Excal in a backpack for easy travel to and from the beach. Do they make a carbon fiber three piece? If so, I will upgrade to that down the line.

Yes LootHunter they do make the 3 PC in carbon fiber. It's not listed on website and I can't remember, but I believe it was about $70-$80 more than the aluminum. Just shoot him an email and he will let you know.

OP
OP
RustyGold

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I did look at the three piece carbon rod by Plugger and they are quite a bit more
expensive but may be worth it the long run! Especially when traveling!
Thanks LootHunter!

Last edited:
OP
OP
RustyGold

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
:icon_thumright:

Thanks Fletch, for bringing the 3 pc. shaft to my attention! I just picked up a 3-piece Carbon FiberTravel Shaft for my Excalibur II!
I can't wait to get to the beach!
HH,
RG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread