Need advice reading my detector

Benbuck6

Jan 11, 2008
GREENVILLE, MS
Detector(s) used
GARRETT 350 GTA
I have a Garrett 350 GTA...when i get a hit, my detector lights up (of course)

the bottom reading gives me general info it read - Trash......Gold.....Silver
the top reading gives me a better idea - Iron..........Ring....Penny..Dime..Quarter..Half..Dollar

OK, I have noticed when it hits in the gold section close to but not on a penny (it is usually a penny)....if it hits dead on penny it is usually a dime. If it hits quarter its a token or quarter.

Could I assume the most likely jewelry reading would be on the low end of the gold/ring reading since the high end is usually a penny.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
I don't know a thing about our machine, but I would suggest you take it to your local MD shop and let them look at it for starts if you have concerms it doesn't work right. I have a DFX and it is never 100 percent accurate with every target it hits as far as icons. I trust my VDI number more than anything

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to have a Gtax 1250 and each coin read one mark left of the actual icon. Once that was allowed for it was fairly accurate. The exception was when hunting in heavy trash - then it couldn't separate the good targets from the trash very well at all and the retune was so slow after discriminating a trash item that it was very frustrating to use. That's why I don't have it anymore.
HH
Bill

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Gold jewelry and aluminum share the same portions of the TID scale. If anyone tells you different, hurry and get them out to the nearest inner-city blighted park, and turn them loose

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
I have the ACE250. What I have noticed is the item if has been buried will always ring up a bit lower while in the ground than it will when it's out of the ground... this does depend on the depth of the item though. In playground gravel it will always ring up true.
I have never found any jewelry as of yet.

Most of the time if it hits above Iron I will dig it. Even if it bounces back and fourth from iron to a nickel I dig...... alot of the smaller CW bullets that are buried from a few inches down ring up as small iron trash like square nails.

Basically it all boils down to learning what your machine is telling you. I get frustrated at my machine, but it actually has been a great machine. You have to dig ALOT to figure it out, but eventually you will get the hang of what it's saying.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem is your detector is trying to do something it can't - which is identify a buried object.

What a detector does is evaluate the relative conductivity of a buried object on the assumption it is coin sized and within a foot of the surface. A pull-tab, aluminum bottle cap, Indian Head cent and a brass rifle case may all have an identical conductivity in the soil you are standing on. It's got about a 50/50 chance of displaying something you will dig if you go by the icons/bars.

For EVERY gold object there is some piece of trash that will give an identical reading. Some detectors are better than others at identifying the trash, but will still miss non-ring gold and read a small strand wadded up chain as "bottle cap".

The best thing to do is dig everything and keep a logbook until you get to know how she is reacting to various objects. A bit of calibration may be in order if you are consistantly off. Easy to check by laying known coins on the ground and passing the coil a bit higher than normal over them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread