need advice

johnn

Greenie
Jun 5, 2009
Gray Court s.c.
im trying to figure out if im finding flour gold when i go to my creek and get some samples and pan them out down to the black sand im finding a goldish brown material that seems to be as heavy or a little heavier than bs and is about the same size as bs is there some other mineral that looks like this. ive never seen flour gold so im not sure this is it but every time i pan some of the cons this always stays in the pan with the bs any advise as how to tell or test to see if this is flour gold would be greatly appreciated. John

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

johnn

Greenie
Jun 5, 2009
Gray Court s.c.
i live in the sc slate belt and googled places to prospect and one of the creeks sugested is only about a mile from me. i will get some pics in a little while and post them. Thanks John

OP
OP
J

johnn

Greenie
Jun 5, 2009
Gray Court s.c.
this is what im finding DSC03980.JPG

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
Well i took a look at your pic. It's hard to tell but it seems like there is some gold in there. If i had it in front of me i could tell for sure lol. I have been dealing with very small gold since i started prospecting. So I'm pretty good at eyeing it in the pan. I hope it is real you might be on to something! Good luck!

OP
OP
J

johnn

Greenie
Jun 5, 2009
Gray Court s.c.
Thank you oldyoungtimer that gives me hope that i might find something my eyes ar not so great so its hard for me to see the gold even with my big magnifier. well im heading to the creek for some more samples. Thank you for replying. John

Oldyoungtimer

Feb 20, 2013
No problem. I actually took some of my gold to work to look at it under the powerful microscopes we have lol. Once i saw it up close it was easy to recognize after that. I'll never forget what my first piece looked like. It was a gigantic nugget under the microscope, but just s little bitty ol thing to the eye lol. I'm actually from Oconee county so i know what it's like to find that tiny gold. Good luck!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like gold to me as well Johnn. To be sure you can also try crushing a couple of them with a pair of tweezers. If it crushes into flakes it's NOT gold but some form of Mica. It also looks a little too large to be what I consider as "Flour Gold" which means you're doing better than I am so far! Keep it up and good luck.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Johnn and welcome to the net.
To tell you the truth you are trying to see the gold with far too much material in the pan. There is still too much blonde material in the pan. You need to pan it down alot further till you only have about a table spoon or two of black sand and hopefully gold left in the pan. Then do your inspection and then you will be able to tell if you have any gold or not. As it is in your pic it is impossible to tell.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Doesn't look like gold to me. You have to pan it at an angle to get all the material in the corner of the pan. Give a good ten to fifteen shakes side to side with the pan tilted all the way forward. Then, tilt it back the other complete opposite direction, and give it about two or three gentle shakes, and all the lighter material will fall down the pan. At this point, you will see black sand still up in the top of the pan. Any gold will be right in the corner of the pan, or in the first half inch of black sand. Swirl it around, the gold will move the slowest in the pan. If this your first time panning, and it sounds like it, buy a little bit of gold off someone on ebay. Then, get it in your pan and play with it. You will see the difference. It is GOLD. Not yellow, not sparkly, but GOLD. We all went through what you are going through. Once you see it, you will know.

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Johnn if its any consolation, I have checked out a couple creeks near Gray court and not found gold. It doesnt mean gold not there somewhere though, just that I didnt find it when I did some test pans there.

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
IMHO, still way too much material in the pan. I don't know why I didn't think of this before but if you have another pan, sink it with a rock. Over the submerged pan, aggressively wash the material down to the bottom and to the low point in the pan (away from you). Begin rocking the pan just under water away from you and towards you and using the steps in the pan (you do have steps in the pan?) You should see a small wave coming in over the pan and going back out. Keep at it till all that's left is a tablespoon or two and check that. This way any material washed off is safely caught in the sunken pan. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
J

johnn

Greenie
Jun 5, 2009
Gray Court s.c.
Johnn if its any consolation, I have checked out a couple creeks near Gray court and not found gold. It doesnt mean gold not there somewhere though, just that I didnt find it when I did some test pans there.

Hey Astrobouncer, This creek has an abundance of quartz and black sand in it \. actually all the rocks in this creek are quartz. is this a good sign that there might be some gold here. Thanks John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread