need advise on first metal detector

CBK

Jan 4, 2016
AL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi guys, I'm looking to get my first metal detector. Really confused on what to get, my budget is around $200. I will be using it around creeks, rivers and pond's. I want something that is easy to use and have been checking out the garret ace 250. but i really have no clue on what to get. I would like for the coil and shaft to be waterproof if possible.

Thanks for any info and sorry if this has been asked a million times, any links would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

whitjake

Oct 12, 2013
Warren, Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold bug 2, fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend the 250 or the Fisher F2. Both are great starter machines. I was deciding for a while myself and finally found a used Fisher F2 on Ebay for under 200. Came with 2 coils and headphones. I like the Fisher but that's just me. I never hear anything bad about either one.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I started with an F2 and you should be able to find a new one for $200 or less. It is a good starter machine.
Fisher F2 Metal Detectors- Kellyco

However, if I started right now, I would save up the extra $150 and get the F44. I absolutely love it.

metaldetectorguy

Feb 21, 2011
SouthSide
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, CZ-21, V3i, VX3, Deus, BHID 300, Coinmaster GT, MX5, Ace 150, Ace 250, Gtax 1000, MXT Pro
I started with and ace 150 and still own it. I put the big coil on it and it became a coin monster. Found a good amount of gold and silver too. I do mostly beach hunting and didn't need the 250 also knowing I would upgrade if I got
hooked...I did lol. I recently jumped on the fisher bandwagon a cz-21 which is also a coin beast. So I'd imagine the lower end fishers would be just as good. Good luck!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best machine I have used in the 200-$300 price range was the Teknetics Eurotek Pro. It has very good audio feature that the F2 and ace series do not have. The lightning fast recovery speed and adjustable iron audio makes it a very good machine for using in nail infested old homesites using zero discrimination.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would watch craigslist for your area and surrounding areas. I personally like the stock DD coil that fisher has. You should be able to by either used with your budget. I also like cpt cavemen's suggestion since it is weatherproof and requires less batteries. I started with an el cheapo detector and after 2 months I wanted to go deeper, I ended up upgrading to a used F4 and loved it. It is the next step up to the F2. Both the F2 and F4 require two 9v batteries where the F44 only requires 2 AA batteries.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Ebay has a Minelab 305 up for less that 200 right now. That is a good beginner unit. I have had good luck with used, quality machines.

OP
OP
C

CBK

Jan 4, 2016
AL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys. I'm still researching all the different models, For some reason i lean towards the garret 250 but everybody seems to love the euro tek pro, plus i will be in some areas that are full of trash cans,nails etc and it seem the euro tek is better in those conditions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread