Need Assistance from some GREAT METAL DETECTORS!!!

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I am attaching three photos of an area we tried for 2 hours to look for...actually, more like 1.5 hours, due the heat, we had to take a water/rest break :)

We met this lady at the beach on Friday (Aug 18) and she lost a pendant her husband gave her. We called her today to find a good time to come over. We searched and searched and could not find her pendant.

We used an Garrett Ace 150 and a Minelab Exp II, plus we had out pinpointers.

Now, Photo 1, is the spot she was at when she bent over and her necklace hooked onto one of the branches, it snapped (broke) her chain, which she still has, but the pendant on it, can't be found. She was painting the fence and was leaning over the hedges to paint it.

Photo 2 is one of the area's we searched. "X" marks the spot where she was at when her necklace broke.

Photo 3 just gives you a bigger pic of the area. Now, in Photo 3, you have hedges, then empty space and then the hedges by the fence. If I confused you, look at Photo 2 to see the hedges on the left and then the ones by the fence.

The ground cover is all ENGLISH IVY!!! In Photo 3, just before the front hedges, the driveway is all pebbles.

Now, in Photo 1..behind the fence are little hedges (bushes), then pebbles as a walkway and then more hedges and behind that...ENGLISH IVY with a tree in the middle.

We tried to re-create the best we could, to give us an idea where the pendant fell or flew. We looked in the hedges...thinking if the pendant flew up (from being snapped off the chain)...it may have landed in the hedges and resting among the many little branches within. Hubby used his Minelab and scanned top and sides of the hedges and under, then I did the same with my Ace 150. I brought the pinpointers, thinking..."Well, heck, she lost it about 2 weeks ago...it's still has to be on the ground somewhere"

This pendant is about the size of her pinkie fingernail, "V" shaped with a diamond at the bottom of the "V". The chain went through two loops at the tops of the "V".

Can anyone give us any idea on how to locate this item. She knows where she lost it....but as I said, we tried to recreate ... to see if we could find where the pendant would have landed.

She said she will be trimming the hedges back and also clearing the old leaves and pine needles out from under it. I told her NOT to throw any of that away, but it all in a bag or bucket of sort...we will come back and re-detect the stuff she pulled up and also around the bushes and ivy again. It couldn't have gotton that far away....or could it have?

Hubby even scanned in the around where there is all ivy ground cover where the tree is in the middle and nothing.

And the only signal we got was an old gun shell casing (abt 1930-1950 time frame, according to hubby)...and a couple of nails and a little broken light bulb. NO TRASH....clean ground.

I felt so bad we could not find it...and then, as we were leaving, she says, "Here, let me pay you for your time."....I said, "OH HEAVENS NO. We don't do it for the money...we do it cause we enjoy it and enjoying helping folks find their lost treasures. I only wish we had found it for you. I feel bad leaving empty handed." (Meaning: we could not find the pendant for her.)

But she promised to call us when she clears the ground area.

Just wanted to know if anyone had any tips, what did we miss....what should we have done different...etc....any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

We Thank You in advance,
Ron and Ann

Attachments

• Img_0102a.jpg
    Img_0102a.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 853
  • Img_0101a.jpg
    Img_0101a.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 861
  • Img_0103a.jpg
    Img_0103a.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 853

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you's Didn't,

Grab ahold of the Bushes & Shake them Very well.

Then Move all the Ground Cover Out where yous can Scan it all easily.

If there is any chance She has another Pendent about the same size, & Metal Content, Scan it & see what it sounds like.

Make sure to search at least 5 feet out from all directions. More if it isn't found Yet.

I would Imagine she Checked her Shoes, But What about Immediatly after she Lost it ?
She May have Physically carried it a Short Distance before it fell off her

Also be sure to Scan the Fence itself with your Eyes & make Sure it isn't lying on the Fence Boards.

And dig the dirt out where it contacts the Fence, in case it is right up against it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never realized that, (what Gypsy said)
she may want to strain the paint through a window screen.

also, What was she Wearing ?

Could it have gone down her shirt & Dropped later ?

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
My first thought was her bra. She could have carried it all day in there and then it dropped when she undressed.

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thank you both, Jeff and Gypsy....I never thought of the paint can!!

I did ask her if she checked herself,,,as you Gypsy, I thought of it falling down her shirt and landing in her bra too. She said she checked.

Me, personnally, I believe, when it snapped from the chain, it was flung in some direction and is not in the area she last saw it or that she carried it with her and it fell in another location.

I just called her to ask about the paint can...she said she uses a little pan and uses all the paint in it, till you can't get anymore out before refilling it (I'm the same way LOL).

So, I reminded her to call me when she is ready for us to give it another shot. I think we will detect "outside the box", so to speak :).

I did do the pebble walkway, with no luck.

I just feel really bad we could not find it for her. I know she was so excited we came over. I told her I was going to post this on TN and also told her of someone else on here who was asked if they could help find a ring, believe it was a wedding band, which was lost in English Ivy. He did not find it on the first trip, but found it on the second. So, I told Nancy....there is still hope :)

Thanks again...really appreciate it...oh, as for the hedges, I opened them and shooked them and even stuck my head in them and looked at all the branches I could....not to say I could have missed it if it's in there...there's always tomorrow :)

Again.....THANK YOU!!!!!!!

HH.....Ann

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
This is probally a long shot, but have her go out with a flashlight at night and skim the area. Whatever glitters ,check out. I have found several lost items this way ...and even some I didnt know I lost! :)

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Gypsy...what a wonderful idea!!!!! I will give her a call today and have her do that. Wow...ya'll on this forum are so SMART....someday I hope I will be able to give great advice to future detectors as ya'll have given to me!!!

Thank you so much!!!!

HH......Ann

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
If it is very small your detector may not get it if you are running any discrimination at all. I would hunt the area again using all metal mode if you did not try that the first time.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
It's also possible that she had stepped in wet paint and then stepped on the pendant, thus carrying it towards the house or who knows where. Did you check on both sides of the fence base? Some of those pendants has such little metal that it's almost impossible to get a reading.

T

TreasureTales

The few times I've been asked to help search for a small item, they invariably were found fairly far from the "launch point." Tiny things seem to take flight and wind up several feet beyond what most people would consider likely. I'd expand the search area to just beyond what might seem reasonable. Also, be sure to search directly behind where and how she was standing. Sometimes those little things will fly up and back due to spin and her follow-through as she realized she was hung up on the twig. I'm serious, those little jewelry pieces can travel!! I'd enlarge to a 10 foot circumference...minimum.

There is a great feeling of satisfaction when a prized possession is returned to someone and you're there to see the reaction. Good Luck!

OP
OP
LadyDigger

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
WOW...what wonderful ideas you all have and I will use them all. We are hoping to get back to her house in the next week or two. She's been clearing under the bushes. And she is just packing them in bags for us to detect them too, just incase she scooped it up!!!

As for it flying behind her...I thought the same thing when trying to re-create where she was and what happened. I have a feeling it's somewhere in those bushes resting on a branch!!!

Thank you all for your wonderful replies!!!

HH........Annmarie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread