need coin id help..no clue about it

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
I know this won't help,but I don't have my camera currently.
I have a coin here that I am trying to figure out what it is..I only recently started to pay attention to coins,so I
need help from the pros. My stepdaughter found it at the school field.

It is about the size of a nickel..has what looks like a mans face with a crown,facing a cross..I can read what looks like
a "DERDEIGR"?? the D might be a V.

The other side has a big + as if it was one of those coins I see that are "cut" in half or quarter.
The middle part inside a circle has 4 stars.

It appears to say "REX SCOTOR" ?

Sorry, but you guys are bound to know what it is without a pic, I need my camera.
Here's my attempt at a pic...lol
*edit,,wow that's too big..how in da world do you make the image smaller..I dont need
all that space around it.

I just checked..it's not magnetic ???

Attachments

• mystery coin side 1.JPG
    mystery coin side 1.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 268
  • mystery coin side 2.JPG
    mystery coin side 2.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 247

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
syko

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
wow...thanks.. it looks exactly like this
I don't even have a detector yet,(saving for a Excal 1000..had a Garrett once upon a time)
I didn't even find it, my step daughter found it in a field ..no detector :P
Pretty cool if it's real.
I wonder if it's a fake? I looked all over it to see if "copy" was on it or some clue,don't see anything.

What's the value more or less on something like this?
The one I have looks to be in better condition,you can see the face better.

Ever since I got on this website I started paying attention to change and found a swiss coin in my change..weird.
I don't remember seeing "odd" finds in my change before.

It has ....23 points - Aberdeen

Attachments

• alexiii23pts.jpg
    alexiii23pts.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 350

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Syko;

If the pic above shows your coin, it appear to be from the "second coingage" of Alexander III (after 1280).

Some history: His reign (pardon the pun) was cut short after he rode a horse over a cliff during darkness at the age of 44. But by that time, he had outlived his children and the only heir was his grand-daugther, Margaret, who was known as the Maid of Norway.

Margaret was also the daughter of King Eric II of Norway. She succeeded to the throne of Scotland at the age of three. Four years later she was on a boat destined for Scotland from Norway, but never made it, dying in the Orkney islands. I wonder if she is the only ruler of Scotland who never set a foot on that soil?

Anyway, I don't belive any coins exist with her name; instead, those of Alex. III may have continued to be minted until the next Scottish king took the throne in 1292.
Don.......
Source: Seaby's Standard Catalogue of British Conis (Coins and Tokens of Scotlant) First Edition, 1972; pp 22-24.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if it was found in the middle of a field iwould borrow a detector and get back there.
Liable to be a very productive old site.Super find.........be sure and take the daughter back with you,she has great eyesight....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread