Need Help buying new detector. My Whites XLT got crushed in the ravine!

Rat Blitz

Apr 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my trusty Whites XLT Spectrum for many years. Recently I fell off a slippery bridge in a ravine and landed on and destroyed her!
I had just purchased a Garrett AT Pro and I'm not crazy about it (yet). I find pinpointing pretty inexact and target separation a bit lacking.
I'm looking for a new detector to use as my #1 machine. I know Whites have gone slightly out of favor compared to the old days when I started.
I was looking at a Makro Racer today (hoping to get one of the Makro II when it is released in this area)
The Makro Racer had all the features I've been looking for.
However one thing I did not like was the tones.
It was difficult if not impossible to for me to tell by the tone what was a good signal. I don't usually look at the display until I have to. I like detecting with my ears and then using the display.
It was a bit of a deal breaker for me. I liked the vibration but maybe was a bit distracted by it.
I'm thinking about getting a Whites MX Sport just because it's similar (I think) to my old XLT. I can get a new TEKNETICS T2 CLASSIC at a great price but I haven't tried it out yet.
I'm thinking about spending $1000 CDN for a new machine.
Is there any other detectors I should be looking at?
I want a machine that is easy to pinpoint has clear bell tones (the AT Pro is good in that regard) and hopefully has iron discrimination as well.
Is there anything else I should be looking at? Maybe I didn't give the Makro Racer enough of a chance? I really wanted to like it.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I'm anxious to purchase soon.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you considered a Tesoro Tejón? Don't know how that compares to your old MD, but it's more of an "ears" machine that seems to be a favorite of most people who have them.

If you're looking for multi-tone options, there's also the Tesoro Golden uMax. (discontinued)

From the research I've been doing, it seems most Tesoro users prefer the way the machines work with single tone - one review (njmineral.com) even called multi-tone distracting in their review and explained why.

I'm looking to make the plunge into Tesoro-land in the near future after doing a lot of reading on the subject, comparing my environmental conditions, budget, personal likes/dislikes, etc. Anyway, might be worth looking into.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you didn't get crushed in that ravine along with your XLT. The Sport looks like it is going to be a good machine, once the bugs are worked out, and I think likely the most similar to your XLT. Another alternative is to go with a Minelab Etrac or 3030. Great tones, target ID and depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread