Need help cleaning my Morgan (pics)

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Frankly I.m afraid to do anything with this coin, so I thought one of you experts could advise me, if you don't mind.

When I found this 1887 Morgan silver dollar it was attached to a money clip. The obverse is in vg to vf condition and the reverse is almost AU and I would like to clean it without diminishing it's condition. If you notice the obverse has some tarnish? in the 12 o'clock, 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions, this was caused by the brackets that held it to the money clip, also at the bottom. The reverse of the coin has exquisite detail and even mint state lustre but it is dirty.

I scanned it so you could see for yourselves and posted the pics here.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you and HH
MichiganRob

Attachments

• MorganFront.jpg
    MorganFront.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 431
  • MorganBack.jpg
    MorganBack.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 430

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave it alone and enjoy it, toning should be present on a coin that old.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Don't clean it. Coins that have been cleaned sell for a lot less.

OP
OP
MichiganRob

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
OK, thanx for the input, I will leave it as is. Great coin those Morgans, love 'em

HH
MichiganRob

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
MichiganRob said:
OK, thanx for the input, I will leave it as is. Great coin those Morgans, love 'em

HH
MichiganRob

Good MR,

When I started THing back in the 60's I had the idea for many years that I should make everything I found look like new.

Most of those cleaned finds looked so bad I either sold them, gave them away, or they went in the trash.

I still have a small box of old coins I didn't clean that came mostly from parks in Western Michigan. They always are enjoyable to look at and remember those past hunts.

Today I understand that the secret is to learn to like most of my digs the way they are, not the way I think they should be. The exception would be with badly corroded objects that completely unsightly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread