Need help cleaning

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Found small cross already started baking soda aluminum foil. Gonna take long time

ForumRunner_20131202_092009.png

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white vinegar and salt. Cover it with vinegar add about teaspoon of salt ,mix well. some things take a few mins. some thing take longer. If you use it for coins, don't put copper with clad. It will turn everything copper color.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it's not a coin so if there's no crust to be removed it's just a matter of cleaning off tarnish.
If you would like to leave an old look to it you can use one of those silver cleaning cloths and just by wiping it will clean the tops of the designs leaving the tarnish in the low areas

Last edited:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just remember guy, Tarnex can kill your little one if they get into it, salt and vinegar is way safer . You can drink it, it's safe !!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha.. My house would be a death trap muriatic acid.. electrolysis..C.L.R... ect...

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are missing the point.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK... I don't think I'm missing anything but what's your point?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's how I do it. As Gator said, if it's not crusty then I'll usually skip the electrolysis, if it is crusty then I'll use the electrolysis just to help remove the crusty stuff. Once I'm down to just the tarnish then I use Tarnex, applying it with a small but fairly stiff artist brush, letting it soak for just a few seconds before washing it off - first with a well soaped up wet rag, then a quick rinse in running freshwater and then dry with a soft rag/towel. I'll repeat this process as many times as it takes. I do well over a hundred pieces a year, some worse then others, and this always works well for me. Chains are usually the hardest - "most time consuming", that and those really crusty rings with settings where the crust and tarnish is behind the setting or deep in the cracks and scroll work, this is where the stiff bristled artist brush comes into play.

PS: I also keep a box of the blue surgical rubber gloves on hand and I use them religiously.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sponge

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
With tarnX sorry about lack of info. This looks like its old. Any suggestions? I bet u guys are hunting right now. Damit Jim

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tarn X is not going to hurt silver you could put it in acid and it would be fine... Yeah at the beach now

ForumRunner_20131203_095336.png

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With tarnX sorry about lack of info. This looks like its old. Any suggestions? I bet u guys are hunting right now. Damit Jim

Looks to be an old piece for sure. Obviously been in the elements for a while. It's also pretty simple, yet unique and attractive in its design. The characteristics of your cross, in my mind anyway, make it one of those special pieces that probably needs displayed in some way and keeps us coming back for more. I'd take it over a typical modern gold band most an day. :thumbsup: How tall is that cross?

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sponge, that is a very nice cross find.

You are doing a fine job on cleaning this cross.

Can you see any marking on the back or on the clasp? sterling , or 925?

Can't wait to see it all cleaned up.

Lorraine

OP
OP
sponge

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Sponge, that is a very nice cross find.

You are doing a fine job on cleaning this cross.

Can you see any marking on the back or on the clasp? sterling , or 925?

Can't wait to see it all cleaned up.

Lorraine

Thanks Lorraine gonna let it sit longer in the tarnX get more pics soon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread