Need help dating a token please

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Hi everyone. I need help finding a date for this Herbert Jones token I found today. It was found in a wooded area about 4 inches deep (I almost had a heart attack when I dug it as I thought I had a large cent). The area where it was found contained numerous finds from the early to mid 1920s. I tried looking the token up online, but couldn't find any info for it. Front/obverse reads "good for 5 cents on every dollar of hats, shirts, and mens furnishings bought of Herbert Jones 2308 Telegraph or 2114 Center Berkeley, Cal. when presented singly." Back/reverse reads "Membership emblem of the don't worry club." GOOD LUCK and has a large swastika on it. Pics are below. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Picture 297.jpg
    Picture 297.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 582
  • Picture 298.jpg
    Picture 298.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 503
  • Picture 297.jpg
    Picture 297.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 489
  • Picture 298.jpg
    Picture 298.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 500

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The piece is listed in Patterson's Swastika Tokens book, but with no dating information. The 1910 Census shows Herbert Jones as "Merchant - Gent's Furnishings", the 1920 Census shows Herbert L. Jones as a "Retail Merchant - Haberdasher", and the 1930 Census shows Herbert Jones as "Retail Merchant - Men's Clothing". Obviously he was in the same business for many years. The "Don't Worry Club" tokens with swastika dates from after 1908.
John in ID

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Thanks folks. From what I've gathered, these "good luck club" tokens were pretty common back in the day. Best I can figure is it's late teens to late 1930s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions