Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Need Help Finding Privy's

Find an old Sanborn Ins map of the area you want to search,it should show where the outhouse stood during the date of the map.
If you have permission to dig in a yard where you suspect one was,do a systematic probing of the back area.You will know when you probe into an old privy hole or garbage hole as the probe will have less resistance and you will feel the glass ,etc when the probe goes through it.
Good luck

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, you don't have to wait until you have to go :laughing7: but, figure out where it likely was. I have a corner lot, and for sure it would be in the back yard and not on the street side either. So, that leaves one corner. You're already narrowed the search by a factor of 20.

Usually not far from the back door (max 60 feet or so) and handy in winter.

Very little garbage went into the privy since it had to be dug by hand when it filled up. Most garbage was flung along the road in the country; I remember a lot of it when I was a kid. Not many people got uptight about littering until the 60's. Still find a few bottles, but most are broken. Most 'tin' pans are rusted away by now.

More, in the old days, there wasn't nearly as much garbage as now.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

Early 1800's 2 story log home I lived in as a kid had the privy located between the house , barn , wood/coal house , and anciliary outbuildings . All morning chores could be accomplished in a straight
line back and forth from the kitchen door back to the breakfast table .
Never been dug and still belongs to us . Anybody interested ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions