Need help for daughter

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would think the liter the better...and you could shorten the shaft...and stay with the name brands Tesoro`s are very lite as are Teknetics/Fisher/Bounty Hunter

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro makes some nice models that come with a lifetime warranty.

You are in a bit of a catch 22. You want to get something good enough to hold her interest and grow a bit with her, but not so expensive that you will be out if she tires of the hobby.

Whites makes some nice little units for under $200 that wouldn't be bad IMO.

WM

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes what ever you chose read the manual over and over till you understand it then read it some more ....you just might have a new hobby to enjoy with your daughter.
Try calling or PMing one of the sponcers here they can help you all day ...they know their stuff and won`t steer you wrong.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a White's Coinmaster. Simple to use and lightweight. Some folks swear by the Ace 150 - 250 - or 350. Also, lightweight machines.

Can you take her to a store that sells multiple lines of detectors? Let her try them out and see which one fits her the best. Good luck with your shopping.

HH,
Anita

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Garrett ace 150 or 250,made here in Texas,good first time detector & if she doesn't like it ,you can resale it for a good price.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
too funny....my daughter is twelve...bday in july !!!I got her the bounty hunter jr.when she was 8.she tired of it almost at once.She has been using my wifes fisher f2 ever since.its a real good option...you can get a package deal with a bunch of extra goodies under 200.00

my advice...keep hunts short and in productive(high percentage)areas.have fun and team up...one swinging coil other diggin etc.Can be the best thing you can do with your daughter...it has made me and mine closer than ever.

good luck

TempUserName

Mar 31, 2013
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Beep Beep Dig Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Compadre, White's Coinmaster, Ace 150/250 (personally I can't stand Garrett tones), Fisher F2 are probably the top name brand entry level detectors. She'll also need a good trowel...a good quality garden trowel or one from White's or Garrett's. Or if you live near a beach a sand scoop. A pin pointer is a must for everywhere but beach hunting.. A Cen Tech pinpointer is less than $20 and well worth the money.

Used machines can also be a good choice.

Before her B-day she can practice cutting a flap and replacing it.

Where will she be able to detect? Of course your yard will be the first place to hunt. But that may play into a machine decision. She should spend time on here learning lots of good stuff. One thing she absolutely needs to take to heart is that good targets won't just jump out of the ground. Plus junk is part of the game. She'll have to dig tons of pull tabs if she wants to find gold. (And she will at some point.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread