Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The scale is in centimeters? Correct?

Any chance this is a small, portable, rudimentary scale or balance?
On the first picture, it appears that the rotating portion will not travel 360-degrees as there is (what looks to be) a stop in the perpendicular axis.
In the photo, it looks like one of the arms might have been "stuck" in this position - just going by the dirt and grime pattern left behind.
Perhaps that (lack of 360-deg movement) is a clue to its function?

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello little lady I'm from Texas and I hope you will allow me to stick my chin out there and comment on your awesome find! Your treasure has a very similar look to a modern day load binder. boomer.jpg These are used in conjunction with steel chains to secure heavy loads to anything that will haul them. Your find might have been used in some like manner to maybe tighten a sail , tarp or secure some other object. I know that is a stab in the dark,but maybe my comments will open up an avenue to understand what it really is. I just visited France. That part of the world is beautiful and full of treasure. Good luck with your work as an archaeologist! Our history is so very fascinating and important. I would appreciate if you kept me in the loop if you find what it really is. Once again, GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the sharp end was driven into a wooden beam and the arms with the loops were used to suspend something, perhaps something that was being cured like meat or cheese. I have hand forged meat hooks that I found in an old smoke house. The have a sharp end similar to your piece. The were driven into the ceiling beams.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread