Need help for my vanishing club !!

cloviscliff

Jul 15, 2008
South Tx
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's m6, Fisher 1210, Garrett ACE 250, White's surf PI Pro, White's DF, Fisher F75se, Fisher 1236x2, Garrett GTAx750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need some advise and tips for how to liven up our club meetings and outings. Our club is an old/new club. Let me explain. Our club started quite a few years ago and now most of the members quit because of health and age and more than a few died. Now the new members are taking over and this all happened within 2 years. Our new club is not very active at the meetings or the hunts. We do not have a website. We have about 25 members but only 12 to 15 show up because our meetings are boring. They read the old meeting minutes draw for door prizes and go home. I am looking for ideas and tips on what to do at monthly meetings. Also looking for help with how or where to start website and how much do they cost. Thanks for any help.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Keg party and pig roast get together to get to know each other better:occasion14:Have a few raffles or two,have a little treasure hunt,maybe buried tokens for free gear or gift certs.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our prospecting club uses (Ning.com) for our web hosting. Basic level allows 125 members and runs around $25.00 month. There are others out there that might be cheaper.
I know what you mean about boring meetings. Once in a while it happens. Try to get some quest speakers to do a presentation.
Local historians, museum workers or an older person who can tell stories about your area and what was around "back in the day".
Maybe the local MD dealer can talk about his/her product line. How about someone from the public works dept. They could talk about hunting safely along side the roads, not digging up utilities, etc. and if they like you, could give you a heads up when they are going to do a sidewalk tear up or repave a parking lot in a older area of town. Having friends from the local law enforcement isi'nt a bad thing either. In exchange for their time, offer the clubs services if they are ever needed. You might end up with the best outing the club ever had.

Our biggest problem is outings. Trying to find a spot that is an hour or so from our location and is accessable to everyone. The club president has been begging everyone for ideas on where to go. On that note, get all involved in the club. Ask what they would like to see or do at the next meeting.

Good luck and think outside the box.

cellar dweller

Jan 7, 2007
connecticut
Detector(s) used
whites dfx , minelab excal II
I belong to a vibrant club in New England. Yankee territory Coinshooters in CT. (on the net). once a month we average 50 members ,guests, and visitors. We have afind of the month table with several catogories of finds. With prizes and member voting on items. We have a 15 min break for snacks, (provided). We try to plan a speaker each month. At least once a yr in last couple yrs a local jeweler is invited. He answers questions about jems. gold and silver marking, fakes, metal test kits... weights, values....endless helpful info your guys would like. Often a member will lead a disscussion. Eguipment, Hunting tips and technique, water hunting, tot lots, maps,....again , endless info . We do 3-4 group hunts a year. A beach hunt where we spread out tokens for prizes. all from club funds. We always get new faces each month and they are younger and younger too. It sounds like your in a transition stage. a core group will hold the club together. The deadbeat will leave. (they are everywhere). keep at it. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread