Need help Grading and Possible Cleaning ideas of this 1897 Barber-O Dime

sodapoptop

May 13, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I found this 1897-O Barber Dime last night, in an area where the sidewalk was being replaced nearby... Now that I know what it is.... (Sorry but I didn't realize there was an O mintmark until now or what a Barber was) Is there a safe way to get the stubborn dirt/carbon off the back of this coin? Is it worth trying? Does having a little carbon make the value less? Any help on grading this coin would be much appreciated also... My first impression when I first saw it was that it looked new?? I thought it was a new dime dropped by a kid...but quickly realized that it was old...and that there had been 7 inches of concrete covering this for quite awhile. Thank You!

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 251

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK WOW!! DO NOT TOUCH THIS COIN!!!!!!! GET SOME WHITE GLOVES, PUT IT IN A PROTECTIVE SLEEVE AND SEND IT TO PCGS FOR GRADING RIGHT NOW!!!! It could be worth up to $500 or so depending on the grade you get. I see it's scratched which will hurt the grade, but DO NOT TOUCH IT. WHATEVER YOU DO, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT CLEAN IT!!! I can't state that enough. If you clean it the value will go down to about a dollar.

Sorry for yelling, just making sure I get my point across. ;D

Is this thing on?

Jul 26, 2008
Nice coin! That would be the New Orleans Mint. A coin like this would have to be professionally conserved in a way that would not deter from the value of the coin. Just don't try to clean it yourself, you don't want this to be one of your "practice coins".

Nice find..

Chris

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try soaking it for a day in a 50% solution of nitric acid and then brush it vigorously with a wire brush. If that doesn't work, roll it in a rock tumbler for a week about half full of gravel from your driveway :icon_jokercolor: - JUST KIDDING!!!!

SERIOUSLY THOUGH!!!!! Take everyone's advice to not try cleaning it in any way yourself. Watch for some advice here from the pro's who have sent their things off to be restored and/or preserved and pick a reputable organization to take care of it for you.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cubfan64 said:
Try soaking it for a day in a 50% solution of nitric acid and then brush it vigorously with a wire brush.

You had me going for a second :o :o :o :tongue3:

OP
OP
sodapoptop

sodapoptop

May 13, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Well, the Nitric Acid just would not work, and so I tried Steel Wool with Sulphuric Acid...that got some of the carbon off...but what really did the trick, was my friends bead blast cabinet! Now, I have to find someone who can polish it up to look like new again! Actually I was thinkin of having it Chrome Plated and mounting it on the front of my Ford Pinto.

And you guys were worried about me screwing things up! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1897 1 Dime.jpg
    1897 1 Dime.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 169
  • 1897 Dime.jpg
    1897 Dime.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 169

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sodapoptop said:
Well, the Nitric Acid just would not work, and so I tried Steel Wool with Sulphuric Acid...that got some of the carbon off...but what really did the trick, was my friends bead blast cabinet! Now, I have to find someone who can polish it up to look like new again! Actually I was thinkin of having it Chrome Plated and mounting it on the front of my Ford Pinto.

And you guys were worried about me screwing things up! :thumbsup:

;D

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Have you cleaned that coin on the obverse (face side) it looks like it has been cleaned with a brillo pad. Or is that the way it came out of the ground, But as agreed with the 1st post DO NOT NOT NOT NOT CLEAN THAT COIN if you havent already you have a very nice key date dime there. I would say as it sits now a low Fine grade

OP
OP
sodapoptop

sodapoptop

May 13, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab
When I found this dime, there was a small amount of loose dirt covering the date, which came right off, but the "head" or obverse side was just as you see it now. No cleaning done, I did not wipe any dirt off the face that would have caused the horizontal scratches that everyone seems to point at me as some kind of negligence. Maybe the guys with the shovels and jackhammers or backhoe somehow disturbed it?
It was only 1-2 inches in very loose dirt. All I did was soak the dime in warm soapy water for about an hour in an attempt to loosen the dirt on the reverse. When I found it, the O mint mark was covered with dirt and could not be read. Anyway, I do not intend to sell it, I will send it to PCGS and will someday pass it on to my children. I just feel very LUCKY and fortunate to have found it. Thank you to everyone who has commented and offered suggestions. And NO, I have not cleaned it any further, nor do I intend to. Just trying to have a sense of humor. 8)

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sodapoptop said:
When I found this dime, there was a small amount of loose dirt covering the date, which came right off, but the "head" or obverse side was just as you see it now. No cleaning done, I did not wipe any dirt off the face that would have caused the horizontal scratches that everyone seems to point at me as some kind of negligence. Maybe the guys with the shovels and jackhammers or backhoe somehow disturbed it?
It was only 1-2 inches in very loose dirt. All I did was soak the dime in warm soapy water for about an hour in an attempt to loosen the dirt on the reverse. When I found it, the O mint mark was covered with dirt and could not be read. Anyway, I do not intend to sell it, I will send it to PCGS and will someday pass it on to my children. I just feel very LUCKY and fortunate to have found it. Thank you to everyone who has commented and offered suggestions. And NO, I have not cleaned it any further, nor do I intend to. Just trying to have a sense of humor. 8)

Well let all us of us know what it does end up grading

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread