need help. i am new to this gold panning

farkai

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
i found a spot that has a ton of gold flake while on vacation last week. I tried to pan it but am not having great luck seperating the gold from everthing else. What is the best way to seperate gold flake? Some of it is so small that it floats on the topd of my water until I added dish soap and it finally sunk.
I found it all on a private lake washed up near the shore in the ripples of the sand. I am positive that I could get a bunch more if I knew how to seperate it from everything else in my pan. Some pictures are attached of my gold pan. Any help would be great!

Attachments

• DSC_0021.JPG
    DSC_0021.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 277
  • DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 2,512
  • DSC_0023.JPG
    DSC_0023.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,164
  • DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 241
Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Farkai,
Thats some nice looking material! I use a blue bowl, some use a miller table or shaker table and some use a spiral wheel. I like the blue bowl. It does a good job, although a little slow but it is rather inexpensive, around $100 vs the other methods.Since you have it worked down so far now it wouldn't take long. Go to prospectingchannel.com and go to their programs tab. Scroll down until you find the video on using the blue bowl. Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! Nice color! You could always dry your cons out, then blow GENTLY to remove black sands. I recommend a a dark green colored construction paper, as it gives the best contrast for both black sand and gold. That's a heck of a pan, my friend! Many people, including me, would be pretty happy with a pan like that

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Also, go to utube and read the comments. Many times more description of how the device works or was built.

OP
OP
farkai

farkai

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Wow. Thanks alot for the help! I watched all the videos that you folks suggested and I feel I have an issue with not classifying my material. I have built a sluice box already but I realize that if I am not running the right classification of materials, I can not get good results. That pan I have was just randomly picked from where I was looking. I am planning a trip back there soon but I will need to gather the right materials and tools to seperate the gold. I really think I like the idea of the blue bowl. www.prospectingchannel.com was very helpful.
Most of the materials in my pan is sand but it is probably 5-10% gold I imagine. I can't wait to seperate it!!!

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if you are pulling that much out w/o knowing what you are doing, send it as is to a refiner and spend your time on that beach getting more...

they'll clean out the crap for you

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was at A&B they had a bunch of used ones of these little blue wheel boxes:

They were building new larger wheel freestanding type. Not sure if he has a brand name on those.

Underflow sulice design:

And I agree with spending more time getting it off the beach. They do that in alaska and there's a ton of videos, so poke around, but here's one I saw this morning:

Large keene unit:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread