Need Help Identifying a Rock

Bob2677

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone.
I found this rock about 8 years ago along Lake Superior in the UP of Michigan. It's been outside on my porch and I picked it up the other day and thought I would try to identify it. It weighs 9.2 oz and measures 3x2.5x1.25in. It feels quite heavy and is slightly magnetic. The pattern on the surface is in relief and the underlying stone is pinkish. My brother in law says he has found other similar specimens but I have never seen one. I googled fossils, meteorites, volcanic rocks, early native american glyphs, martian meteors, nothing comes up. It looks to me like some kind of petrified plant material but its odd how it continuously wraps around the stone. If you can help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! _52A3305.jpg _52A3309.jpg _52A3319.jpg _52A3320.jpg _52A3341.jpg _52A3345b.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 12

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
...well it is natural, but what it is i cannot say. It is covered by a mineral substance that is eroding away by (i think) a chemical action, either by water or the ground it sat in for a time. nice rock.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is a lovely rock! I've never seen anything quite like it while hunting glaciated fossil and mineral stones in IL but from what you said about magnetic properties plus density and appearance I'd say it is some form of Hematite (Fe2O3) or Magnetite (Fe3O4), perhaps metamorphosed. I have no idea what would cause the beautiful zones of harder iron oxide to form with a different softer rock in-between but that piece is awesome.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen a lot of rocks, that one is at the top of cool.

OP
OP
B

Bob2677

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ll go with a lodestone, the pink part I’m not sure

The Lake Superior coastline is very rocky and we were looking for agates. The are lots of pinkish stones up there mostly granite and rhyolite.

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not to good looking at pictures however this is my best guess it appears to me to be mainly nickle with a small amount of iron also because of bluish hue it could also containsome osmium it is a hard bluish white lustrous metal with out testing i could not say for sure pink could be caused by copper hope this helps . rgb

OP
OP
B

Bob2677

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your input. The outer detail layer is completely hardened and fused so it cannot be peeled of and is not soft or malleable.

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forgot platinum metals are slightly magnetic beautiful specimen rgb1

OP
OP
B

Bob2677

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do I get it identified? I'm not normally a rock person. Do I contact an geologist at a university or something? Does it have any value?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a neat rock. I just sent pics of it to a geologist friend of mine. We'll see what he says. I'm guessing some sort of iron/hematite something or other. Gary

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AT FIRST I THOUGHT SILVER AND HAND ART WORK FROM INDIANS.... WELCOME NEW MEMBER FINE FINE ROCK FIND...

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fused is the word I would use to describe it also, and it does resemble a Fusion Crust that might be found on a Stony Chondrite type of Meteorite. Since the crust appears to be evenly spread over the surface, it could be that it it turns out to indeed be a meteorite, it was probably tumbling and not oriented. Oriented meteorites have fusion crust on the side that heated the most on a stable atmospheric entry. It might be worth having it checked out.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My geologist friend doesn't have a clue. He said that is one bizarre rock. You might have something special. Gary

OP
OP
B

Bob2677

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the interesting things about it is that the more you look at it the more it "feels" like there's something decipherable there. It's strange how the pattern changes and has precise structure. One thought that came to mind is could it be slag of some kind? That area has a long history of iron mining but again when I search for examples I don;t see anything that detailed.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unique, is an understatement !

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Bob. Interesting rock. The question would be does that crazy pattern extend throughout the rock, or is it a surface thing only? Throughout, my guess would be a beach tumbled hunk of metal slag. If it's surface only, then you may have a meteorite that was RAPIDLY spinning and tumbling when it entered the atmosphere, many many revolutions per second. Combined with a wind of thousands of MPH, the melted surface may have formed that odd pattern as the spinning and tumbling slowed down.

I think you may need to slice off a piece and see what's inside. The Smithsonian has a meteorite ID service, where you can email some photos, and they will let you know if it's a possibility, or a meteorwrong. I sent in some pics last year, and they got back to me same day. Send the best photos you can get. Good luck.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Bob. Interesting rock. The question would be does that crazy pattern extend throughout the rock, or is it a surface thing only? Throughout, my guess would be a beach tumbled hunk of metal slag. If it's surface only, then you may have a meteorite that was RAPIDLY spinning and tumbling when it entered the atmosphere, many many revolutions per second. Combined with a wind of thousands of MPH, the melted surface may have formed that odd pattern as the spinning and tumbling slowed down.

I think you may need to slice off a piece and see what's inside. The Smithsonian has a meteorite ID service, where you can email some photos, and they will let you know if it's a possibility, or a meteorwrong. I sent in some pics last year, and they got back to me same day. Send the best photos you can get. Good luck.

I might wait a little while on the slicing until you get more information/feedback.

While I admit to knowing very little about rocks, I put it pretty high up on the cool scale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread