Need help Identifying this coin

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

I found a coin tonight that has me very hopeful that it is real. Even if it is a counterfeit, or fake, I would like to know what it is based upon.

The picture will hopefully provide enough detail. I do not know much about old coins, but there is a history of Europeans in this area going back to at least 1607.

The quarter is for size reference only. I weighed it, and the weight is 8.2 grams as it is. It is slightly out of round, and slightly larger on the shortest diameter than my gauge will go. So it si a bit larger than 24 mm, and 2.5mm in width. There is some crusted sand on it, but I do not want to clean it harshly in the unlikely, but possible chance it is genuine.

Thank you very much in advance for any input, advice, or knowledge shared. If you have any questions please ask.
Anthony

Attachments

• golden coin.JPG
    golden coin.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 282
  • golden coin.JPG
    golden coin.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 282

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Spanish cob; pillars and waves variety. An 8-reales coin would weight about 27 to 28 grams. The usual, more common, denominations were 8,4,2, 1 and 1/2 reales.
The weight of 8.2g does not 'fit' any denomination and the nearly perfect roundness also adds 'suspect' to the coin.
Don....

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
My research seemed toindicate it was a replica, so I scratched the rim with a knife. The "gold" flaked off, but it was on there good. Oh well, its one of my more interesting coin finds from the beach ;D. Might carry it with me, and anytime someone asks, "did you find anything today?" I could pull it out, and say, "Not much, but I did find this funny lookin coin."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread