Need help identifying this weekend Estate Sale Watercolor form ~1940s

Bruggs

Jan 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need help identifying Estate Sale Watercolor from ~1940s

Brand new member here!! Hello all!!

Went to an estate sale this last weekend in a house built in the 1940s. Ended up buying a watercolor with the signature half hidden underneath the matting. Took it home turned it over and the framing is just a disaster so I went ahead and opened it up. There is actually another painting by the same artist (I'm assuming) on the other side, of a carnival scene - has tape damage though. Would love any help!! Thanks all!

IMG_1620.jpg IMG_1623.jpg IMG_1624.jpg

Last edited:

KGCnewbieseeker

Oct 29, 2005
FL
Looks like Leonore Fini I didnt see these works when I googled her watercolors but looks like her signature. hope that helps.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking your watercolor is by a student interested in the fine arts. . . hence, painting on BOTH sides of the paper (I've done that myself in a pinch LOL).

The "landscape" is similar in style to Ted Kautzky's (see photo below). . . a Hungarian-born artist that came to the States in the mid 1920's.
He published several books on watercolor painting (I have two) and it was a favorite among art students in the 1950's. . . which would
(based on the condition of your painting) coincide with the watercolor you have.

Obviously, this is speculation on my part, but, just a thought.

Ted.JPG

OP
OP
B

Bruggs

Jan 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, thank you for your help everybody! It does look a lot like someone trying to replicate Ted Kautzky's style. I do really appreciate the comments!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread