Need help IDing found coin. SOLVED. Thanks for the help!

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy this New England weather has been bad. First a real bad Winter followed by a terrible Spring and now a miserable Summer. Only three days of sun in June and about 1/2 day so far in July. Temps mostly in the 50's and 60's with a lot of wet. Yuk!

I finally got out to the beach this weekend and found the usual junk of pull tabs, rusty nails as well as some clad and pennies and a pair of sun glasses. I also found a Canadian quarter and a coin that I need help identifying.

I don't know the country of origin because I don't know what language the writing is. It looks like it may be
from the middle east region. There seems to be some Islamic writing of some kind along the lower right side
on the face of the coin. If there are any coin collectors out there that can give me an answer I'd appreciate
the help. Both sides of the coin are shown below.

Thanks and Happy Hunting!!!

dlbsides.jpg

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Need help IDing found coin.

Guessing: Morocco orTunisia; will look further
The dates on the coin are 2002 and 1423. 2002 is the “A.D.” date and 1423 is the "A.H." date, this is the al-Hejira calendar, as used in the Muslim world.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

I think it may be a dirham of Morocco.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

PBK: I added Morocco a second after you posted.
I had read this Googled entry but didn't see any pics:
King Mohamed VI will have his own coin. The currency authorities have revealed two new coins, one of which will carry on one side the portrait of the current Moroccan monarch. On the side, the coin will have the national seal with the inscription of 1423-2002. The coin will have the value of DH 10. The second coin of five centimes (five cents), will feature an orange flower, a drop of water and the years 1423-2002, in addition of the state seal.
Best,
Don....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread